Sigma Chi shatters campus fundraising record

Home News Sigma Chi shatters campus fundraising record

Sigma Chi’s Derby Days, the annual fundraising competition between sororities, nearly doubled the school fundraising record.

The fraternity raised $9,300 for Operation Homefront after combining two formerly separate fundraisers, the Fritze Farm 5K and Derby Days. It surpassed the $5,600 record set earlier this month by Alpha Tau Omega.

“That’s pretty much the highest we’ve ever reached,” Sigma Chi senior John Bell said.

The fundraising began with a 5K run that raised $3,000 in donations and ended with the sororities contributing another $6,000 throughout the rest of the week-long Derby Days.

Bell, who led the organizing of the event, said past and present members of the fraternity were thrilled to hear about the new record.

“We had a alumni meeting on Saturday for Homecoming and told them how much we raised and they were super excited,” Bell said.

The alumnus who organized the fraternity’s first Derby Days attended the meeting and said he was impressed by how much the fundraiser had grown over the years.

“They only raised $150 dollars, and we came and raised 10 grand,” Bell said.

While fundraiser lasted a week, preparations for the event started well in advance.

“This goes months and months in the works,” Bell said. “There is a lot of people in each sorority that worked really hard to get people amped and get people excited about the event.”

Kappa Kappa Gamma sophomore Kacey Reeves said she thought the fundraiser supported a good cause.

“It was a lot of fun to be able to help the Sigma Chi’s break the fundraising record,” Reeves said. “I know that all three sororities were excited to raise funds for such a great organization.”

The money will go to Operation Homefront, which helps support military veterans and their families.

“The guys in the house really care about veterans. They care about our armed services,” Bell said. “We realize that it is their sacrifice that we can come to an awesome school like this, that we can be in a fraternity and have great times together.”

Sigma Chi chose to give to Operation Homefront because it would support their community.

“Almost 90 percent goes back into Michigan,” President of Sigma Chi senior Daniel Bellet said.

The fraternity emphasized the success of the fundraiser was a group effort.

“We are really thankful for the sororities,” Bellet said. “They worked so hard to raise money for this, and it wouldn’t be possible without them.”