Local pilots: letting airport manager go was a ‘big mistake’

Home City News Local pilots: letting airport manager go was a ‘big mistake’

Pilots and administrators in Hillsdale’s aviation community flocked to the Hillsdale City Council meeting Monday to share their opposition to its recent decision to fire Hillsdale Municipal Airport Manager James Scheibner.

Despite Scheibner’s contract expiring more than a year ago, he continued serving as airport manager and receiving his salary until council voted to terminate him Sept. 30.

Scheibner has been involved with the airport for more than 45 years — 20 of which were spent under contract as the airport manager.

Thomas Heerlyn, a Delta Airlines pilot and Scheibner’s longtime friend, traveled from Jackson to Hillsdale on Monday to attest to Scheibner’s work ethic.

“I’m here on my own accord, he didn’t ask me to be here,” Heerlyn told the council. “He performed well in a time that has been considered one of the worst times in aviation history. He’s been successful at keeping the airport afloat when the city struggled to fill a pothole. What we see out of James is someone who has always been dependable for 20 years, there’s never been a problem that he hasn’t already stopped first.”

The outpouring of support during the meeting’s public comment brought Scheibner to tears, and he publicly thanked those who had helped him at the airport.

“It’s been a privilege and an honor to serve this community, after Tuesday the outpouring of support from family and friends has been truly humbling,” Scheibner said. “I put my heart and soul into that airport. I think history will show, when the dust settles, my track record of success a little differently than what has been said.”

Councilman Adam Stockford thanked Scheibner for his commitment to the community, but he said that the council and City Manager David Mackie discussed the issue at length before deciding to terminate him.

“James, that airport out there will always be your legacy,” Stockford said. “I know it is traumatic and disappointing when a long-term employee is let go, especially when they are a good and kind man like you are. But I want the public to know that this was not a spur-of-the-moment firing, this was a long, drawn-out, deliberate process. It was the city manager’s responsibility, and we need to support him. He didn’t come to this conclusion by the flip of a coin, he lost sleep over it.”

Thomas Spratt, a frequent recreational pilot at the airport, said he was upset how the city handled Scheibner’s termination.

“James Scheibner is the man who taught me how to fly, and I’ve been flying for 22 years now,” Spratt said. “I think the city has done a very wrong injustice.”

Councilman Bruce Sharp said the council and Mackie considered all aspects of the issue before deciding to terminate Scheibner.

“It wasn’t an ambush; we were informed,” Sharp said. “There are two sides to every story, and we know both sides of the story. We aren’t here to discuss it, I don’t like seeing anybody lose their job. We hired the city manager to clean up messes and move forward, I put my faith in the city manager because I helped hire him.”

Mackie will oversee the operations at the airport until an interim manager is hired.

Heerlyn said the council should have provided a reason for its decision to let Scheibner go.

“We don’t know both sides of the story,” Heerlyn said. “They’re afraid to bring the facts forward. No one wants to publicly state the reason because they know it won’t hold water. They made a big mistake letting James go.”