Council to investigate Welcome Party complaints

Home City News Council to investigate Welcome Party complaints

The Hillsdale City Council approved a local bowhunting agreement allowing city residents to target game on city property and agreed to investigate noise complaints about the Hillsdale College Welcome Party at its Tuesday meeting.

Hillsdale residents Steve and Sally Wood asked the council during public comment to control the noise level at college events, citing Welcome Party and football practices as recent disturbances.

The couple, who live half a mile away from the college quad at 1560 Barber St., said the music was “too loud” and “profane” for their comfort and the comfort of their young grandson.

“The music was so inappropriate,” Sally Wood said. “Yes, it was appropriate for college students, but it was not appropriate for a six-year-old to listen to in his bed. I called campus security and they said there was nothing they could do, and the athletic director said there is nothing he can do about the music during football practices.”

Steve Wood raised his voice while speaking to the council to illustrate how loud the music was.

“The volume of the party in our bedroom was so loud, and we weren’t able to do anything about it,” Steve Wood said. “We want to be treated like good neighbors. We are not dirt under the feet of Larry Arnn and Hillsdale College.”

According to the Hillsdale Police Department, Hillsdale College sent a letter to the council and police to notify them of the potential noise disturbance at Welcome Party. Hillsdale police responded to the Woods’ call during Welcome Party on Aug. 31, but Police Chief Scott Hephner said the responding officers didn’t believe the noise levels were substantial enough to stop the event.

Councilman Adam Stockford sympathized with the Woods and said he hopes to address their concerns.

“I live just a block away from the college, and if you live near the college, you know what you can expect,” Stockford said. “It’s not reflective of the college but usually just a few individuals. College administrators and Dr. Arnn live right there too, and they deal with the noise as well. I feel for the Woods and I hope their problem is addressed.”

In other business, Hephner told the council the city may issue 15 permits to bow hunt on city-owned property.

“We have determined that we can allow for 15 hunters on city property,” Hephner said in a statement to the council. “If we get more than 15 applications we will do a lottery to issue permits.”

The permit limit will not apply to hunters who wish to hunt on private property, Hephner said. All hunters who wish to hunt on private land will need a hunting license from the state of Michigan and permission from landowners.

Councilman Bruce Sharp said local complaints about deer in the city of Hillsdale are high, and encouraged hunters to take advantage of the city-approved bow hunt.   

“I was approached by a couple citizens about the deer,” Sharp said. “I have had a lot of ladies contact me saying that their plants are under assault. I encourage the hunters to shoot anything they can as long as it’s not Bambi.”

The hunt season will be held Oct. 1 to Dec. 31.Those who wish to obtain one of the 15 permits to hunt on city property may contact the Police Department for more information.