Smith’s Flowers tries tea, too

Home City News Smith’s Flowers tries tea, too

Smith’s Flowers now offers Metropolitan Teas, which the store picked up from recently closed Mulberry Lane’s inventory.

The loose-leaf tea comes in a variety of flavors from around the world including: China, India, Sri Lanka, and Kenya. Selections range from black, green, white, herbal, and decaf blends, to favorites like Irish Breakfast, Earl Grey, Yorkshire Harrogate, hibiscus and rooibos blends, vanilla chai, Nepal Junchi green tea, and Shanghai Lichee Jasmine.

Mulberry Lane sold Metropolitan Tea to a regular customer base. Owner Marlene Miller, who closed the store upon her retirement in January, then offered her inventory to other local shops.

Smith’s Flowers owner Jane Stewart thought it would be silly not to pick up the inventory since the teas already attract loyal customers.

“I was looking at some of her inventory of items that would fit nicely into my shop,” Stewart said. “It looks like something that’s very viable in my store — it’s a nice additive.”

Miller said she is happy her customers will have another outlet to purchase the teas.

“I was delighted that Jane wanted to try them,” Miller said.

In addition to flowers, Stewart’s shop sells small trinkets and gifts, so the teas blend well with items customers pair with flower arrangements.

“Sometimes people are looking for something just a little different, maybe not just flowers and plants, but something a little nice to go along with them if it’s for a birthday or anniversary,” Stewart said. “The tea fits in very nicely.”

Stewart is keeping the same pricing from Mulberry Lane and wants customers, like college students, to know that she is carrying the product.