Squirrel hair makes Mack’s brushes a best seller

Home Features Squirrel hair makes Mack’s brushes a best seller

Pinstriping, one of the few automotive trends that has carried over from the 1800s, is an Andrew Mack Brush Company specialty.

The brush company, located in Jonesville, Michigan, crafts custom brushes for pinstriping cars, motorcycles, and signwork.

Developed in the 19th century, pinstriping began as artistry on buggies and evolved into more complex designs on cars and motorcycles during the hot-rod scene of the ’50s and ’60s.

Although it began as a trade, the craft has evolved into a hobby.

With precise strokes and quality equipment, pinstriping artists create works of art without patterns, or even the ability to simultaneously see both sides of the car being pinstriped.

In order to create such intricate detailings, pinstriping artists use striping brushes, such as those crafted at the Andrew Mack Brush Company.

Andrew Mack, who founded the company, originally worked for the Deal Buggy Factory, a business reputed for building and painting the finest carts, carriages, and wagons in all the Midwest.

Although Mack held a prestigious position as the head striper at the factory, he was not fully satisfied with the brushes used.

“Andrew Mack couldn’t find a brush that he was happy with so he made his own,” said Chris Fast, the a co-owner of the Andrew Mack Brush Company.

Mack developed his own ‘Mack Striping Pencil’, what is known as the original pinstriping brush.

Mack’s ‘Striping Pencil’ quickly became the market standard and Mack left the Deal Company in 1891 to start his own full-time business selling brushes.

In the 1930s, Mack employed over 30 women who specially handmade each brush.

Andrew Mack’s son Glenwood, who was involved in the business since 1911, took full ownership of it in 1946 when Andrew Mack passed away.

He expanded the business to include manufacturing other types of brushes, such as those used in cleaning camera lenses and contracted artists and sign writer brushes from a New York based company.

In 1960, upon Glenwood’s retirement, the business sold to family friends, the Fasts.

Today, the current owners of the business and friends of the Macks continue Mack’s legacy in providing the best pinstriping brush on the market in addition to, yet again, expanding the variety of brushes manufactured.

Currently, the Andrew Mack Brush Company employs six experts who assemble quality hand-crafted pinstriping brushes.

Many of the pinstriping brushes manufactured by the Andrew Mack Brush Company are made from both synthetic and natural Siberian squirrel hair.

In addition, brushes made from other hair, such as mink, hog, ox and pony hair.

The brushes vary in lengths of hair based on the type of pinstripe design.

The bulk of the Andrew Mack Brush Company’s business generally sells to distributors and the bulk of their business not even located in Michigan. The company regularly ship brushes to distributors across the country and internationally, since the demand for Mack’s quality brushes is very high.

California represents a huge portion of Mack’s market. Chris Fast, the son of current owners Mike and Betty Fast, said of California, “Because of the year-round good weather, California is a very vibrant state for us.”

In addition to the brushes, the company sells aftermarket products like wipe out tools, which are used to correct mistakes, as well as cleaning supplies.

Their standard brush is Mack’s Sword Striper, which can be used for all types of pinstriping.

Marcus Chaves, a Mack’s Sword Striper customer praised the brush’s finishing.

“It’s size is very thick to allow curves and the hair used on it doesn’t let the ink drop,” he said.