A.J.’s breakfast exchange gone

Home News A.J.’s breakfast exchange gone

The A.J.’s Café breakfast exchange option, a program where students had the opportunity for a half an hour after breakfast closed to get a small breakfast meal from A.J.’s instead of a swiped meal, was discontinued this year after the Bon Appétit Management Company replaced Saga Inc. as Hillsdale College’s food provider.

According to Jeff Every, Bon Appétit’s general manager at Hillsdale, the company was unaware of the program’s existence coming into this academic year.
“I didn’t really think it was a worthwhile program,” senior Rebekah Smith said. “I would have preferred something like a Pop-Tart or an Early Riser to eggs and toast.”

Every said at this point, there are no plans to replace the program.

“If it is needed moving forward, we will gladly talk about it,” he said.

A.J.’s employee senior Madeleine Cooney said she gets an occasional student asking about the breakfast exchange, but it is not a popular request. She noticed, however, that most of these requests are made while breakfast is still open in the Knorr Dining Room.

“I see no logical reason for instituting the breakfast exchange,” Cooney said. “It is not as though students are going hungry from missing breakfast, nor are they looking for coffee as downstairs has great coffee with sizable takeout cups, nor are they looking for food different from Bon Appétit as downstairs provides A.J.’s with much of our food, and we all order from the same companies.”

With extended dining hall hours that started last year under Saga’s management, there are fewer reasons for students to miss breakfast in the dining hall. Students with 8 a.m. classes can make it to breakfast before it closes which was the main reason the breakfast exchange existed.

Some students were disappointed to see the program go.

“I’m unhappy that I can no longer do the breakfast exchange,” senior Chris Pandolfo said. “It was more convenient than putting all my books down and going into the dining hall. You can’t take that food with you.”

Nonetheless, Every said there are some exciting programs coming up next semester.

“We enjoy being able to serve Hillsdale College,” Every said. “It is an honor to be a partner here. We love getting feedback of any kind. This is your café, and we welcome any suggestions on how we can better serve you.”