Chargers come up short in Indianapolis

Home Sports Chargers come up short in Indianapolis

If you just looked at the stats, you’d think Hillsdale pounded their way to a convincing win against a playoff-caliber team in Indianapolis.

The Chargers outgained the Greyhounds by 116 yards, ran 27 more plays on offense, and won the time of possession battle 35:10 to the Greyhounds’ 24:50. But Indianapolis came out on top in the one offensive category that ultimately matters, holding off the Chargers for a 24-19 victory.

“We moved the ball with ease for the most part, but then when we’d get to the end of the drive we’d stall out,” redshirt junior offensive lineman Justice Karmie said. “Luckily we have a great kicker. Steve [Mette] is a stud.”

Mette knocked through four field goals on the day, giving the Chargers their first 12 points.

“The good news is we’ve got a really good kicker and he makes his field goals,” head coach Keith Otterbein said. “The bad news is we settled for a bunch of field goals. It comes down to that.”

The Chargers didn’t find the end zone until redshirt sophomore quarterback Mark LaPrairie connected with redshirt junior wide receiver Alex Fogt for a 4-yard touchdown with 8:41 remaining in the fourth quarter, making the score 24-19.

Hillsdale’s defense followed up the score with a stop, giving the ball back to the offense with a chance to win the game on the final drive.

The Chargers drove all the way down to the Indianapolis 12-yard line, but were stopped on fourth-and-2, dropping their overall record to 2-2.

“We just had to convert a little bit better,” LaPrairie said. “If we just had one of those [field goals] go in the end zone the game goes completely different.”

“You change one of those drives from a field goal to a touchdown and we’re kicking a field goal for the win at the end of the game,” Karmie added. “But on the plus side it’s nice to see that we are moving the ball as well as we did against a really good defense.”

LaPrairie finished the game 249 yards through the air and a touchdown to go along with 33 yards on the ground. Redshirt sophomore tailback Bennett Lewis missed the game with an ankle injury, but is hopeful to return on Saturday.

Tailbacks sophomore Jack Wiseman and junior Wade Wood filled in admirably in Lewis’s absence.

“Both are probably playing the best football they have in their career here so far,” coach Otterbein said. “[They] had some good yards after first contact and did a nice job with pass protection.”

Wiseman finished with 71 yards on 11 carries, and Wood contributed 64 yards.

The Chargers will look to bounce back on Saturday against another tough opponent in Grand Valley State University. The team is looking forward to playing in front of the homecoming crowd.

“The whole homecoming environment is going to be really cool to play in,” LaPrairie said. “I’m really looking forward to it.”

Grand Valley is just 1-3 on the season, but they are better than their record shows, Otterbein said. The Lakers were ranked No. 2 in the nation at the beginning of the season before dropping their first three games, but are coming off an impressive 66-28 victory over Lake Erie on Saturday.

“They’re coming in and they’re angry,” Karmie said. “They know they’re not a 1-3 team.”

Grand Valley will pose a number of challenges for Hillsdale.

“[They’re] really fast,” coach Otterbein said. “They are as good as any program in the country.”

The Chargers will look to take advantage of a raucous home crowd on Saturday to grab an impressive win and improve to 3-2 on the young season.