Hillary Clinton’s Benghazi bugaboo

Home Opinion Hillary Clinton’s Benghazi bugaboo

The frenzied media continues to wonder why Hillary Clinton will not announce her run for president. But the answer is obvious.

The clamor erupted as the former first lady went on a book tour that looked a lot like a campaign tour. Last week, Jon Stewart on “The Daily Show” mocked Hillary and the media in a segment called, “Willary or Won’tary,” focusing on media hype when Hillary Clinton attended an Iowa steak fry that had political pundits sizzling.

They expressed frustration that Hillary was disingenuous for failing to make her intentions clear. But she knows exactly what she’s doing. Hillary is waiting to see whether the Benghazi bombshell is a dud or if it will sink her campaign.

The scandal, largely dismissed by the mainstream media, was followed by troubling reports of Clinton aides and the State Department — known for protecting their own — hiding evidence and impeding investigations. Despite the Clinton camp’s efforts, the evidence is mounting.

Last week, the Daily Signal reported that Hillary’s chief of staff, Cheryl Mills, oversaw a team that sorted through Benghazi-related documents and removed anything that could make Hillary look bad. They have a State Department source on the record saying he helped with the undertaking. This is only one of a slew of reports.

In a revealing documentary, the Blaze uncovered documents that showed that the same chief of staff helped block investigations into prostitution, drug use, and charges of pedophilia in the State Department. That same documentary begins by reminding viewers of a chilling exchange during a Benghazi hearing between Former Deputy Chief in Libya Gregory Hicks and Representative Jim Jordan (R-Ohio):

Hicks: I was instructed not to allow the [regional security officer], the Acting Deputy Chief of Mission and myself to be personally interviewed by Congressman Chaffetz.

Jordan: So the people at State told you, don’t talk to the guy who is coming to investigate?

Hicks: Yes, sir.

Jordan: Have you ever had anyone tell you, don’t talk with the people from Congress coming to find out what took place?

Hicks: Never.

Clips like these, and reports from the Daily Signal, will prove great fodder for conservative groups and the Republican nominee. But Hillary may have more to worry about from a Democratic primary race. The Wall Street Journal reported at the beginning of this month that Democratic fundraisers claimed Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley said he would run for president regardless of Clinton’s decision. If the bombshell explodes the Hillary campaign, O’Malley could slide in as the Democratic nominee. From a long shot to the only shot for the Democrats, and all in less than a year. But that’s the nature of scandals. They have a way of changing careers forever.

When a republican accuses a Clinton of corruption, it doesn’t stick. Those “conspiracy theorists” and “right-wingers” have been doing it for years. Those are probably the same people who think Obama came out of the womb praising Allah on Kenyan soil.

But when a reputable democrat like O’Malley begins a slew of campaign ads, neither Hillary Clinton nor the mainstream media will be able to ignore it.

Those claims of Hillary’s corruption are dangerously close to sticking, partially because they’re likely true to some degree. Also, the Clinton Dynasty reeks of a power-hungry, inside-the-beltway couple gunning for four terms as president. That narrative fits perfectly with the accusations against her. “Of course the Clintons are corrupt. They’ll do anything to stay in power. Heck, Bill perjured himself to save face.”

Worst of all for the Clintons is the Benghazi hearings will continue. Witnesses will continue to surface. Documents will continue to become public. This slow process will marinate the Clinton name in this scandal, an experience they are all too familiar with. Hillary knows this, and she is waiting. She would rather go out on top now with her fortune, reputation, and likely another book deal or two, than risk running for president if it will taint her legacy as the failed presidential candidate brought down by scandal.

That’s what is in the back of Hillary’s mind when she sits at the Iowa Steak Fry. She’s haunted by it.