Cross-country 8th in nation

Home Sports Cross-country 8th in nation

The combination of the returning runners and the new additions made such an impressive roster that it had to be nationally recognized.

The Hillsdale women’s cross-country team received the highest preseason NCAA Division II ranking it has had in school history. The team ranked 2nd in the region and 8th in the nation.

The preseason ranking is based on the race times of returning runners as well as the freshmen runners.

“It’s more of a predication than anything,” senior Rachel Warner said, “But now it’s sort of an expectation too.”

This ranking means the team is expected to qualify for the national meet in early December.

“Yes, it’s exciting for the program to be recognized on the national level, however, it’s just a ranking.  We are at day one.  Come end of the season, only one ranking matters.  We need to do our talking out on the course,” head coach Joseph Lynn said.

Lynn has a track record of success in turning collegiate athletes into victors.  “It’s not rocket science.  It’s about being consistent over time, runners discipline and prepare themselves daily,” Lynn said.

During his final year of coaching at Grand Valley State University, Lynn’s team earned three national titles, a feat that set a new school record.

“If anyone can make us as good as we can be, it’s him,” junior Kristina Galat said.

Lynn believes the women have a promising shot at being on the podium at nationals, especially with the five freshmen.

The newcomers, Hannah McIntyre, Maddie Richards, Amanda Reagle, Andrea Bodery and Katie Mersereau, all have 5K times under 20 minutes.

“They have potential to have a huge impact on the program,” Lynn said.

Seeing what they are capable of, Lynn has switched up their training, adding more lifting and cross training.  To continue to gain strength, every athlete includes anywhere between two to four hours of swimming, biking, or elliptical workouts into their weekly training.

On Friday, the ladies race at Michigan State University.  Coach Lynn will use this meet to gauge the teams’ status.

“The meet will be a good test of our overall fitness to see where we are at,” Lynn said.

The Hillsdale runners’ team placing will determine if they travel to an invitational in Louisville, Kentucky next weekend.

“We have a lot of talent and a lot of hard workers so our team is really deep right now,” Warner said. “A lot of people perform better on race day than they do in workouts so I’m excited to see the competitive side of our team.”