Alum hosts hockey games

Home Features Alum hosts hockey games
Alum hosts hockey games

In the woods, on the outskirts of town, is a place that carries on the memory and love for a game that has not been a part of Hillsdale College athletics in over 25 years.
Craig Connor, ’77 graduate of Hillsdale College and left wing on the college’s hockey team, has constructed an outdoor hockey rink on his property so he and his friends can continue to play the game they love.
“It rekindles my passion for the game of hockey,” sophomore Michael O’Sullivan said. “It’s great having a place to skate. It’s the best outdoor rink I’ve ever played at.”
The rink, built in 1993, has everything needed to have a great outdoor hockey experience. Though it is not the only outdoor rink around, Connor’s creation has unique features. The rink has lights for nighttime play, a screen that blocks a glare from the sun during the day, a heated shed where players can thaw out, and boards from Michigan State University’s former home arena.
“I built this because I just love hockey. I had one in my yard as a kid in Toledo” Connor said.
Every year since its inception in ‘93, the rink gets improved and maintained by Connor and his friends.
“Keeping it up is not too bad. We make small improvements every year” said Connor.
One of the best features of the rink is the boards. which allow the game to have a fast pace, non-stop action.
“Before the boards we just used the snow banks to surround the ice. The puck doesn’t go as fast when it lands in the snow” Connor said, chuckling.
To maintain the quality of the ice players shovel as needed and Mr. Connor has a man-powered zamboni to resurface the ice. The zamboni is made of PVC pipe which is connected to a hose. The pipe has holes drilled in it to allow water to come out evenly as it is being pushed up and down the ice. They also snow blow the rink to keep it clear when it snows.
Under the 12 in of ice is a plastic liner that is attached to the sides of the rink. During the warmer months the liner is power washed and the plastic and boards are taken.
With all of the work that goes into maintaining a rink like this Connor has had many friends help out. One of those friends is his lifelong buddy Brand Ramsey who grew up playing with Connor in Toledo and went on to play at Bowling Green State University.
“I wouldn’t have got into hockey if it wasn’t for Craig’s dad. I will come here and play with Craig till you pry the stick out of my cold dead hands,” Ramsey said.
Ramsey currently resides in Florida but comes up every winter to play and work on the rink to make sure it is ready for people to use.
“I moved down to Florida to get away from the cold but I come up here as my vacation” Ramsey said.
Another visitor to the rink is the Connor’s dog Louie, a border collie that loves to watch hockey.
“Louie is one of my favorite parts of coming to the rink,” junior Sean Bennett said.
Hillsdale students have been enjoying the ice year after year.
“Every four years you get new guys coming and playing. As long as I know who they are they can come whenever they want,” Connor said.
The rink has become famous for hockey lovers. Large publications like sbnation.com have visited to showcase this well-kept secret.
The rink provides a reprieve from the snowy, sunless winter days and an opportunity for hockey players to hit the ice again.
“Winter is long, this makes it go by quicker,” Connor said.