Slayton Arboretum gains new horticulturalist

Home News Slayton Arboretum gains new horticulturalist

Laurie Rosenberg is the new Slayton Arboretum program coordinator.

Rosenberg is originally from Branch County, Mich., but has been living in Allentown, Pa. where she was working as the outreach director of Muhlenberg College’s Graver Arboretum.

“I have always been interested in plants as a hobby,” Rosenberg said. “That is why I studied environmental education.”

She said she has a Bachelor’s degree in environmental education from Michigan State University and a masters of education in biology from Grand Valley State University. She taught introductory biology and ecology labs and biodiversity at Muhlenberg College.

“I was really looking for a job to combine my academic pursuits and working with children,” Rosenburg said.

Coming here, she can combine teaching, research, and higher level of academic study with making it accessible to public. She said she may be pursuing another master’s degree or a doctorate while working part time for the college.

“I think people in Hillsdale have been visionary in the waterfall,” Rosenberg said. “Dr. Barber was visionary in making the Arb. My vision is to maintain stewardship of his original vision.”

Ranessa Cooper, Slayton Arboretum Director, said Rosenberg will be the planner and organizer of Arb events and programs and plantings in the Children’s Garden and the Arboretum.

“She submitted a stellar application,” Cooper said. “We are excited to have her as part of the Arboretum staff. She brings a lot of energy to the position.”

Cooper said that Rosenberg started on Oct. 1, and immediately began working on “Autumn in the Arb,” a hands on fall activity for children that is taking place on Oct. 12.

“We have the new master plan to work on and she will be instrumental in helping us pursue our goals,” Cooper said.

Rosenberg wants to make the Arb a destination for people in the community and draw families in for recreation.

“Nature walks have a restorative property,” Rosenberg said.