Professors plan sabbaticals for this next year

Home News Professors plan sabbaticals for this next year

The fall semester this coming year will see eight professors on sabbatical from various departments.

Professor of History Paul Rahe will be away from Hillsdale for a year at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

He will revisit his recent manuscript, tentatively titled “The Grand Strategy of Classical Sparta: The Persian Challenge,” and working on its sequel, “The Athenian Challenge,” both of which he hopes to finish by August 2014.

He also said he looks forward to touring the country with his family, driving to and from California to travel around the state during his leave.

“Think of it this way,” Rahe said. “While my colleagues and former students are enjoying the Michigan winter, we will have to put up with the tedium of sunshine every day. It is a hard life, and professors have to lead it.”

Professor of Politics William Morrisey plans to stay in town for his sabbatical in order to finish his book on the geopolitical strategies of Winston Churchill and Charles de Gaulle.

Professor of Biology Bob Miller has a variety of activities to keep himself busy over the fall semester. He will be writing articles on senior Benjamin Maddock’s research into embryonic chick brains and on embryonic, neonatal, and adolescent development.

Miller will also be working the kinks out of his lab protocols, observing polar bear migration in an early-winter Churchill, Canada, and attending classes and meetings in San Francisco and at Washington University.

The five other professors leaving for sabbatical this fall semester are Associate Professor of Chemistry Christopher Hamilton, Associate Professor of Mathematics David Murphy, Professor of German Eberhard Geyer, Professor of Art Sam Knecht, and Professor of English Chris Busch.

Then in the spring semester 2014, Associate Professor of Mathematics Ryan Hutchinson, Professor of Chemistry Chris Van Orman, Professor of Christian Studies Michael Bauman, Associate Professor of Education Daniel Coupland, and Associate Professor of Politics Kevin Portteus will all leave for sabbatical. v