Tiles cause problems in Biermann

Home News Tiles cause problems in Biermann

At the opening of the Margot V. Biermann Athletic Center building on March 2, the tennis courts were covered up with carpet tiles so a multi-purpose sport court could be laid out on top of them.

The use of the carpet tiles, however, raised several issues, which have the Hillsdale College administration searching for a new covering for the tennis courts.

Director of Student Activities Amanda Bigney said that the carpet squares were not practical due to the time and labor required to cover the courts.

She said it took herself, members of Student Activities Board, the volleyball team, track team, and other helpers more than seven hours to cover the courts.

“They did not stick together,” Bigney said. “They slid and moved apart and were not practical with the time and labor required to complete the project.”

Director of Athletics Don Brubacher said they were loaned to the school and were not the product they were supposed to receive. The intended product was lighter and more rigid to make them more efficient.

“Even with the other product, it would have taken too much time for regular use,” Brubacher said.

Although the tiles caused no damage, they left a residue on the tennis courts that is difficult to get off.

“The greatest immediate point is to restore the courts to their original condition,” Brubacher said.

Brubacher said they are searching for a better product. They are currently looking at rolls of carpet that are 6 feet wide and 60 feet long, and which one person can maneuver.

He said the price range varies from pretty inexpensive to very expensive, so he is unsure what the new product will cost overall. The administration said they want to verify information and make an informed decision regarding the new carpet.

Bigney set up for the last event because it was coordinated by SAB, but the buildings and grounds crew will be responsible for laying out the protective carpet for future events, according to Brubacher. He said smaller events will be set up for by the sports teams hosting them.

“We will not have any more events until we have another product,” Brubacher said. “There are still plenty of smaller events we can do and those will continue.”

The deadline for the new squares is commencement.

“Commencement will always be outdoors, weather-permitting,” Brubacher said.

Nonetheless, Biermann will be the backup plan. Brubacher said the college will have the covers before commencement.

As far as the tiles go, Brubacher said there is no chance they are keeping them.

“We are never allowing them back in,” Brubacher said, “They are gone now – they were bad in every way.”

Everything worked out for opening day, according to Bigney.

“For the sake of SAB and student activity, I hope that a solution is found quickly,” Bigney said. “I hope the building gets to be used and used the right way.”