Don’t call it a holiday tree: it’s a damn christmas tree

Home Opinion Don’t call it a holiday tree: it’s a damn christmas tree

Ho, ho, ho! Merry holiday! Each holiday season, it seems that more and more public locations are putting up “holiday trees,” instead of Christmas trees. Unsurprisingly, there is no visual difference between the two decorations; only the name differs.

Last year, Republican Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee proclaimed that the state’s Christmas tree would be called a “holiday tree.” Chafee claimed the name change would be more inclusive of all religious holidays. Despite the anger his decision generated, he added insult to injury this year by scrapping the traditional tree-lighting ceremony.

Chafee did eventually decide to have the tree-lighting ceremony. He, however, gave notice of the ceremony only a half-hour before it commenced. He didn’t want the ceremony to become a “disrespectful gathering” similar to last year’s, which was full of protesters upset about the term “holiday tree.”

His best explanation of his actions is the “changing times.”

Chafee’s public actions highlight the fundamental judgment lapse seen in those who call a Christmas tree a “holiday tree.” This misguided attempt to ease tensions of religious differences does the exact opposite of its intention.

Regardless of the name, a tree in this season stems from a 15th or 16th century German Christmas custom. Calling it a “holiday tree” does not magically negate its Christmas connotations.

From an examined, non-Christian perspective, it’s more offensive to call a Christmas tree by its politically correct pseudonym because it does not depict many holidays as its name purports. There is only one holiday in this season – Christmas – that it represents.

Republican Rep. Doreen Costa of Rhode Island, unhappy with Chafee’s announcements both this year and last, has held her own protest lightings of a personally purchased Christmas tree.

“I’m sick of being politically correct. Nobody’s been offended by calling a Christmas tree a Christmas tree. If we have a Menorah in the State House, what are we going to call it – a candle [holder] with sticks?” Costa told Todd Starnes, host of Fox News & Commentary.

Costa’s call-it-what-it-is sentiment is the proper approach to religious diversity. Lies and outright falsehoods do not create a more inclusive environment, as Chafee seems to think.

As our nation becomes so attached to the mentality of political correctness, we will lose quickly those characteristics that make us unique and those traditions that our culture asks us to continue. Though the idea of calling a Christmas tree a “holiday tree” may appear to ease tensions, it only serves to continue the watering down of our diverse and colorful national heritage into one with no traditions, no heritage, and no purpose.