Hillsdale in D.C.

Home Opinion Hillsdale in D.C.

Spend a semester in Washington, D.C. Hillsdale students flood the district during the summer, but too few students take advantage of the semester-long programs. The Washington-Hillsdale Internship Program and Hillsdale’s newStudy Abroad in D.C. program provide students with an opportunity to enrich their education in an impactful city.

I spent the spring 2011 semester participating in “WHIP.” I can point to few other times in my life during which I experienced such growth. It will stretch you. Since you have 16 weeks, you might have a more substantial internship experience than in the summer. This prepares you to be an adult, while still insulating you from some of the challenges of being completely independent. The night classes add an intellectual element, and reinforce the idea that you’re still pursuing a liberal arts education. You don’t have to love politics— D.C. is home to some of the nation’s leading schools, hospitals, and companies.

The college will now also offer regular classes. Dr. Moreno will teach many of them; that alone should persuade you. But if it doesn’t, there’s also a vibrant city full of opportunity. Hillsdale friends are more tight-knit than friends at other schools, and students seem nervous to leave their social life behind. But eventually, your semesters sort of blur together, and missing one semester out of eight won’t matter much. Your time in D.C., on the other hand, will be very memorable. Bring a friend along and experience it together.

Double-majoring can make this difficult. Get creative. Talk to the head of your department; professors are willing to work with you. The Kirby Center can help you. As for financial aid, Hillsdale offers generous help for students in D.C. The college wants to increase participation in these programs, and will work with you to overcome whatever stands in your way.

The first step: attend the informational meeting in Lane 125 at 6 p.m. tonight.