Football gets 600th win

Home Sports Football gets 600th win

The Hillsdale College Chargers got their 600th win in the history of the program on Saturday against Notre Dame College 63-14.

“I wasn’t aware of it until late in the week,” head coach Keith Otterbein said. “It just proves the thing that we talk about — the fine winning tradition we represent with our current squad. It’s an honor and privilege for everyone associated.”

The 600th win was not the only notable milestone in Saturday’s game, however.

Senior running back Joe Glendening also got his own piece of history when he caught a three-yard touchdown pass and then later had a six-yard run for his 52nd and 53rd career touchdowns, breaking a school record that was previously held by Vinnie Pannizi ‘09.

“It means he knows where the end zone is, I think,” Otterbein said, laughing. “He’s been such a reliable, dependable, durable player.”

Glendening said it would not have been a possible record to break without his teammates.

“It hasn’t really been a goal of mine,” he said. “It’s the result of playing with a great offensive line. It’s really a testament to them.”

Glendening also sits on the verge of breaking the career rushing record. And he currently holds the single-season records in carries, rushing yards, and rushing touchdowns.

“If he keeps playing the way he knows how, he has the opportunity to pass that final milestone,” Otterbein said.

The defense also had their own notable contribution with three “pick-sixes” — an interception return for a touchdown — from juniors Steven Embry, Nick Galvan, and Matt Payne. The last pick-six that the Chargers had was in 2003.

“Obviously that takes the wind out of the sails of your opponent,” Otterbein said. “And to do it three times shows that our kids put in the time and the effort to prepare for this game.”

Freshman Todd Frickey, in his first collegiate appearance, also had an interception in the game.

Otterbein said that games like this past one, where they have solid control over the outcome of the game, is a great opportunity for younger players like Frickey to gain valuable playing experience.

“[The experience] is priceless in those situations,” Otterbein said. “The other benefit is resting your starters. When you can play your starters 30, 40, 45 percent less snaps, then they are rested and ready to play as the season goes on.”

Glendening said that the starters enjoy watching some of the younger players get on the field.

“A few guys had their first touchdowns, and we’re all happy to see that happen,” he said.

The Chargers sat five points and 10 yards away from their single-game record of 68 points at the end of the game

“Number one, we didn’t know about it,” Otterbein said. “But it wouldn’t have changed our approach with what we were doing. We obviously had the game in hand, and when we got to the point where we run out the clock, that’s what we chose to do.”

Otterbein said he was pleased that the team did not take Notre Dame lightly, and said they would have to continue to do that in future games.

The Chargers’ next opponent will be Northern Michigan University this Saturday at home at 1:30 p.m.

“We just go into the game expecting the other team’s best shot,” Glendening said. “[Northern Michigan] will play hard and be physical.”