Chargers avenge last year’s homecoming loss

Home Sports Chargers avenge last year’s homecoming loss

The Hillsdale College Chargers had revenge on their minds going into Saturday’s game against Ohio Dominican University.

In last season’s homecoming game, the Chargers led at halftime 21-7 against the Panthers, but could not hold them off and were defeated 43-42.

But on Saturday night, after jumping out to a 28-0 lead at halftime, Hillsdale held off Ohio Dominican for a 38-20 win.

“It was a tough loss last year,” senior running back Joe Glendening said. “We didn’t want to let them do that again. So, when we were up going into the second half, that was in the back of our minds.”

The Chargers wasted no time in the first quarter when sophomore defensive back Daniel Pittman intercepted a pass, which the Chargers then converted into a touchdown. Pittman was named the GLIAC Defensive Player of the Week on Monday for his two interceptions and six tackles.

“I was really surprised,” Pittman said. “A lot of people were joking about it saying I would get it, but I didn’t believe them. I feel honored to get it.”

To open the second quarter, Glendening ran 56 yards for a touchdown to bring the score to 14-0. Glendening rushed for 230 yards in the game.

After an interception by junior linebacker Brett Pasche, senior quarterback Anthony Mifsud threw touchdown passes to senior H-back Cam White and then to junior wide receiver Andrew Mott for a 28-0 lead. Mifsud passed for 207 yards in the game and rushed for 35.

“[Our rushing and passing] complemented each other well,” Glendening said. “It’s hard for defenses to shut down both.”

The Hillsdale defense had several big stops in the first half, denying the Panthers a chance to put any points on the scoreboard.

“Defensively, we created some pretty good field position for ourselves,” Otterbein said. “We tackled better. And we put pressure on the quarterback — that can create the turnovers.”

In the second half, the Chargers opened with an interception from junior cornerback Ben Karaba, their third of the game, resulting in a field goal.

“[An interception] really turns the tone of everything,” Pittman said. “We are trying to get the ball back and get our offense back on the field. And we did really well with that.”

The Chargers scored a touchdown in their next possession, bringing the score to 38-0.

The Panthers were able to get some points on the scoreboard at the end of the third and in the fourth quarters. As Otterbein replaced his starters, the Charger offense didn’t add any more points to the final score.

Otterbein said their lead allowed them to change the lineup and allow some younger players to gain valuable playing experience.

“When you’re a younger player and you get out there, you’ve got big eyes, and your heart is racing pretty good,” he said. “The more we can get young guys out there the better.”

The Chargers ended the game with a total of four interceptions.

“If you get one or two, that’s a pretty good day,” Otterbein said. “I’m not sure of the last time we had four.”

Hillsdale also dominated the time of possession at 40:18, over twice as much as the Panthers at 19:42.

“We were doing a good job of nickeling and diming them, as the saying goes,” Glendening said. “We had long-sustaining drives that took up a lot of the clock. We did well driving the ball down the field.”

The Chargers will face Malone University, a team new to the GLIAC, this Saturday, Sept. 15  at 7 p.m. at Muddy Waters Stadium.