Charger Chatter: Daniel James “DJ” Loy

Home Sports Charger Chatter: Daniel James “DJ” Loy

Only a handful of Chargers have been playing as long as DJ Loy. He has started on the offensive line nearly every game for the past four seasons. DJ took time away from his studies (Marketing Major) to tell us about the football programs of both 2012 and years past.  

How has the team changed over the past five years?

I think the sense of camaraderie has grown. When I was a freshman, I didn’t talk to any fifth years, or if I did, it was football related. It was just kind of an unspoken thing. These aren’t concrete rules, but as we’ve gone along, the upperclassmen have taken on a big brother mentality toward the incoming freshmen. Really more than individuals with an ego, it’s just coming together to better everyone.

What does the team look like this year?

This year’s [team] is older than last year’s. We lost a handful of starters, but there are plenty of guys who either started or played that are coming back.

What is it like looking at some of your teammates trying out for the NFL?

It’s really neat. When you first start playing football you look at the NFL and it just looks like an unattainable goal — some place you’ll never be. Then, you get to high school and start to hear the statistics of people who actually get to play college football, and it’s something less than 25 percent. The chances of actually making it to the next level (NFL) are slim to none, and then to actually have friends do that makes it seem a little more reachable for everyone else.

Who was the most indispensable person you have played with?

Honestly, I can’t really answer that because it is a team sport. You can have the best player on the planet on your team, but if you have ten other guys who do nothing, then you won’t have a chance to show [the best player’s] abilities. For example, Anthony (Mifsud) is a great quarterback, but if we didn’t block for him, and he ran for his life every pass play, his abilities wouldn’t show up on the stat sheet.

Who has been your favorite running back to block for?

Probably Joe (Glendening). He shows the most respect for us (the offensive line). He’s very humble for being so good at running the ball. It’s refreshing for a lineman because we don’t get a lot of love as it is. Since we never run the ball or catch any passes, the person in the stands only hears our name when we get a penalty.

What do you like about being a lineman?

It’s just fun to physically dominate someone. It doesn’t always happen every play, and a lot of times people don’t watch you. At the end of a play, when you know you’ve beaten the crap out of the guy across from you, that feeling is just refreshing. It’s fulfilling.

What are the team’s goals this year?

Our team goal is to win a GLIAC championship. Our top three objectives are: graduate with a Hillsdale College degree, represent the program in a first-class manner, and win a GLIAC championship. I would like to get a national championship, though, and I think this team can do it. We have enough guys returning, we have the talent on the team, and we have the work ethic. It’s just a matter of executing on Saturdays.

Who has been the funniest person on the team?

Our kicker, Mark Petro ‘09. He was the funniest person I have ever met.

What has been one of the best games you have played?

The first game I ever started was my red-shirt freshman year, and it was against Grand Valley, who was then ranked number one. It was on our homecoming. I remember talking to all the alumni the night before the game, and I was terrified. We ended up beating them. That was awesome. Everyone rushed the field.

Have you ever had a worst game?

That same season, the last game was in the playoffs, coincidentally against Grand Valley, at Grand Valley. That was our second playoff game. I don’t remember it because in the second quarter I got knocked out and made their highlight reel which is never a good thing. I guess it was a funny scenario because I said some ridiculous things on the sidelines, like calling the ginger who knocked me out “The Flying Tomato.” I don’t remember anything until I was in the car with my parents to go to the hospital.

Was everything that happened with DSP last year a distraction on the football team?

I wouldn’t say so. We have between 20-25 guys on the football team. You get so good at compartmentalizing your life that it doesn’t become a distraction. You don’t think about it when you’re lifting or going through practice. It was unfortunate, but it didn’t become a major distraction from football.

Is there anything else about the football team you want students to know?

Not really. I think we have a pretty good presence up the hill. We’re friendly, and I know it can be intimidating to see us walk around because we’re some of us are giants. We want to have friends. We want people to say hi to us. Maybe they could offer to buy us something from AJ’s.

What is your personal goal for this last year and for your future?

I really just want to leave with no regrets. There’s the overwhelming possibility that this is my last season ever of football, and it’s something that I want to end with on a high note. I don’t want to think five or 10 years down the road, “What could I have done differently? Could I have tried any harder?”

-Roxanne Turnbull, City News Editor