Q & A: Jacob Secor

Home Sports Q & A: Jacob Secor
Q & A: Jacob Secor

Jacob Secor, a senior financial management major, runs on the cross-country and track teams. He currently holds the school record in the outdoor 3,000-meter run, and he sat down with The Collegian to reflect on his running career and talk about the end of his last track season at Hillsdale College.

When did you begin running and what made you decide to run in college?

I began running in ninth grade to get in shape for the wrestling season and found out that I really enjoyed it. I decided that it was something I would like to do in college.

What goes through your head when running? What do you think about right before a race?

I usually try and think of race strategy prior to stepping on the line and visualize the race playing out that way. I think of things such as when will I start my final kick, who will I try to hang with during the race, but mostly looking good while I do it.

Which season do you like better — cross-country or track?

I enjoy both cross and track for different reasons. I like the closeness of our team in cross country, but I love track because of the controlled terrain and faster races.

What are your goals as you enter the last part of the season?

My individual goal is to qualify for the national track meet in the 1,500, and a team goal is to place in the top three in the conference meet, which would be very impressive given the level of competition in the GLIAC.

Who is your role model when it comes to running and life?

My biggest role model would be my high school cross country coach. He is the real reason I ended up coming to Hillsdale, and he was always focused on making me the best collegiate runner I could be — regardless of how I performed in high school. His training always focused on preparing me for the hard work I would encounter at Hillsdale and in life.

What are your future plans?

In regards to running, I plan to continue training but at a more pedestrian pace and mileage, and in general, I am still looking into various possibilities once I graduate.

What is your proudest or best memory of running at Hillsdale so far? What has been your biggest accomplishment?

My biggest accomplishment was placing twelfth at the Cross Country Regional Meet in Big Rapids, Mich., and my proudest memory was winning the 800 in the intersquad Blue-White track meet my sophomore year.

— Compiled by Morgan Delp