Q&A with Katie Lamb

Home Sports Q&A with Katie Lamb
Q&A with Katie Lamb

Katie Lamb is a senior swimmer and financial management major. Lamb competes in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle and both the 200-yard freestyle and medley relays. She, along with the rest of the swim team, will be competing at the GLIAC championships on Feb. 8-11.

What are the team’s goals going into conference?

Our goal is to do better than we did last year, definitely. We came in sixth last year so we’d like to strive for fifth or above that. We want to get as many girls into finals — which is top 16 — as we possibly can. The important thing is to swim fast in the morning to get as many people into finals so we can score as many points as possible.

How long have you been involved with swimming?

I started doing competitive swimming when I was nine, so a long time. This is the last year of my career. It’s kind of hard to imagine life before swimming.

How do feel about tying up your swim career?

I’m excited to see what I can accomplish, hopefully go all lifetime bests — that would be great. Hopefully get in on some relays in conference because obviously only four people get to make the relays. We don’t really know [the relay teams] until the day of the meet because Coach only takes the four fastest people that day. So I’m excited for conference, and it’ll be a lot of fun. I’ll probably be more excited than I ever have been. It is kind of sad to think this will be my last hurrah, but it will be exciting to start new things after this.

What do you plan to do after college?

I’m currently looking for jobs so I don’t actually know where I will be yet, but hopefully a job in financing or marketing.

What’s your ideal job?

Right now it’s just getting my feet wet in some business, really anywhere, because I’d like to move up and be some kind of executive. I’m just not really sure what kind of industry and what — in the end — I’m really good at.

Do you feel this has been a successful season?

Yes, I would say this has definitely been the best season for me and the team as a whole since I’ve been here. We were 6-1, so definitely the best record we’ve had since I’ve been here. I’ve swam great times, faster at this point than any other season at this point in the past.

Do you feel like, with your class graduating, the swim team is in a solid position to continue doing well? 

Oh, I think so. Coach is really good at recruiting. He picked up a great freshman class this year, and they are all doing phenomenal. Even though we are going to lose five great girls, I think he’s going to do a great job of picking up another great class next year.

Do you have any advice to younger athletes as you’re heading out the door?

Oh man. Always take up opportunities. Never miss an opportunity to get better. Even now, I’m still working on things that I’d like to improve, and this is the end. Just have fun and remember to enjoy every second of it.

-— Compiled by Caleb Whitmer