DSP is no animal house

Home Opinion DSP is no animal house

In last week’s Collegian issue, we were brought up to speed on Delta Sigma Phi’s current situation.  As it now stands, the men of DSP will lose their house next semester and will soon be undergoing membership reviews.

There are those on campus who support the decision to take away the Delt Sig house and would even applaud the revocation of the fraternity’s charter. Many students see a fraternity house as a symbol of a counter-culture, as a component of a lifestyle that solely seeks to encourage drunken debauchery and contempt for college rules.  These are opinions that I believe are based upon too many viewings of “Animal House” and put too much stock in stereotypes.

I also believe that a fraternity house is a powerful symbol, a positive symbol. When I think of a Greek house, I think of brotherhood. I think of sisterhood. I think of unity. A house encourages community and helps foster relationships.  It provides a meeting place where issues can be dealt with and problems can be resolved. It offers historical perspective, the opportunity to look back on previous generations and to see how they both flourished and faltered. And yes, it is also a place where fun can be had and good memories shared.

So, I encourage all of you to join the fight to save the DSP house.  You can sign a petition on their website (savethedsphouse.com). As I write this article, there are already 83 signatures and counting.  The brothers of DSP realize what the house means for the fraternity and are currently doing all they can, whether that means making sure the house stays clean or by meeting with members of administration, to insure that it exists as a positive symbol for years to come.