Students ‘get down’ at CHP Showdown

Students ‘get down’ at CHP Showdown

The Schizmatics placed second in CHP Showdown. Freshman Max Cote (right) played the didgeridoo for one of the band’s songs.
Courtesy | Erik Teder

Runaround, Schizmatics, and Spike Jäger and the Spitfires will play at CHP on April 27 after winning the top three spots at CHP Showdown Friday night.

“CHP Showdown showed how Hillsdale gets down,” freshman Michael Bogumill said.

Students donned glow sticks and gathered under fluorescent lights as DJ Thor & Dr. Dre, Alligator Wranglers, Ambassadors, Runaround, Schizmatics, Spike Jäger and the Spitfires, Diet of Worms, and Refresco performed at the event in the Old Snack Bar. Students tossed neon glow-in-the-dark rocks into fish bowls to cast votes for their favorite band of the night.

“All the bands had great energy and performed well,” sophomore Sophie Schlegel said. “It was such a fun experience and had me on my feet the whole time.” 

Junior and SAB events team lead Abby Richardson said student attendance made for a lively event.

“CHP Showdown is such a good event thanks to all the great students who come out and support all the bands,” she said.

In addition to the music, Richardson said her favorite part of the night was the community that showed up to cheer on student bands.

“Watching all the bands play and seeing all their friends show up and support them is so sweet,” Richardson said.

Sophomore Jake Hamilton played keyboard for first-place Runaround and said the night made for a memorable performance.

“I thought the performance was awesome. There was a ton of energy,” he said. “Everybody was engaged, the crowd was really into it, so that makes it all the more fun.”

Runaround, which formed last spring, will face its largest crowd yet at CHP, according to Hamilton.

“Playing at CHP has always been the goal of our band,” Hamilton said. “When we formed last year, we went into it thinking we want to play at CHP next year. It’s crazy that we’re doing that now.”

For now, Hamilton said Runaround is basking in the glory of victory. 

“Honestly, it still doesn’t really feel real,” Hamilton said. “But we’re super excited to be playing.”

Loading