New Futsal Club scores official membership

Tackles and wipe-outs don’t occur only on the football field or ski slopes. Inside the Roche Sports Complex, between two soccer goals, members of the Futsal Club experience these thrills and pains every Wednesday.

Futsal is indoor soccer played on flat surfaces with a small, weighted ball, according to sophomore and president Peyton Hutchinson. 

“The club plays pickup futsal matches between club members every Wednesday night beginning when the soccer season ends in the fall,” Hutchinson said.

Hutchinson presented his club proposal to the Student Federation in the fall and received approval and funding to make his once spontaneous soccer games an official club. 

The co-ed club, recruiting many from the men and women’s club soccer teams, boasts 94 members in its club GroupMe, although only about 16 come each week, Hutchinson said. 

“We generally play a fast paced game until someone scores,” Hutchinson said. “The losing teams walks and the winning teams stays on until someone scores on them.” 

The club started with spontaneous games men’s soccer club members would coordinate, sophomore and vice president Mikey Berry said. They would set up goals in the basketball courts of the Sports Complex and kick around the ball.

“Now, futsal is a regular Wednesday night activity, and tons of people consistently show up — guys and girls who want to get some touches on the ball and play a little competitive soccer with their friends,” Berry said. 

Becoming an official club has brought some funding that allows the group to invest in nicer goals and balls and maybe jerseys in years to come, Berry said. 

Freshman and club member Ellie Fromm is a regular participant on Wednesday nights which usually last about an hour to 90 minutes. Although the club is not involved in a league and therefore doesn’t have official games, Fromm said she still enjoys the casual soccer matches. 

“Co-ed is definitely faster paced but it helps me learn how to make decisions faster and clean up my first touches,” Fromm said.

Hutchinson said each week is consistent but also different because the teams switch. 

“The teams are different every time,” Hutchinson said. “It keeps everyone on their toes, and challenges players to learn to play with different dynamics every week.”

The regular time of the club comes at a perfect mid-week point, Berry said.

“Futsal is a great study break for me, but one I look forward to every week,” Berry said.

Loading