Chargers extend win streak to seven games

Freshman Sydney Davis has a batting average of .361. Courtesy | Hillsdale College Athletic Department

The Hillsdale softball team extended their win streak to seven games over the weekend after sweeping the Lake Erie College Storm and the Ursuline College Arrows. 

On Saturday, the Chargers defeated the Storm 5-1 and 5-0. They beat the Arrows 8-0 and 10-1 on Sunday, playing to only five innings in both games. In conference play, the Chargers hold a record of 18-4. 

Lake Erie College and Ursuline College are ranked thirteenth and fourteenth respectively in the G-MAC. The Chargers are ranked second, behind the Trevecca Nazarene University Trojans. 

“These were wins that we had to have,” Gross said. “We took care of business, did what we needed to do, and played well.”

Senior McKenna Eichholz said the Chargers played well in their games on Saturday, especially once they adjusted to different pitching styles. 

“Our offense did really well,” Eichholz said. “We just had to adjust to the pitching and we were able to get through the lineup. Once we were able to figure it out and go from there, we didn’t look back.”

Gross said the Chargers pitched strongly on Saturday, only giving up one run. They performed well in offense and defense, according to Gross.

“Pitching was dominant,” Gross said. “In the second game, Erin [Kapteyn] shut Lake Erie out. We also hit four home runs on Saturday, and four more on Sunday.”

The Chargers played to five innings in both games again Sunday, quickly running up the score. Eichholz said the team played hard from the onset, to honor the seniors but also the team as a whole. 

“I think we all play for each other and wanted to hit well and keep that going,” Eichholz said. “We had two games, and with five innings, you can leave fast and it’s a good day in the office. So I think we also had that mentality of let’s clock in and get this job done.”

Senior Erin Kapteyn said the games on Saturday helped the team build momentum for the large wins on Sunday. She said that Saturday’s experience helped each member on the team play a part in the wins.

“The team played great on Sunday,” Kapteyn said. “Everyone was able to contribute in some way, either getting an at bat or a spot on the field. It was really fun to see everyone get an opportunity to play.”

The Chargers celebrated five graduating seniors on Sunday during the games against the Arrows. According to Gross, Senior Day was successful in every aspect.

“You couldn’t write a better script for senior day,” Gross said. “Just the way they played, the weather, the games, and the crowd. We had a large crowd, and some alumni came back for the games. It was a very good weekend and a special senior day.”

Kapteyn said the day was full of emotional memories. Looking back on four years of Charger softball memories made her grateful for the time she spent here, according to Kapteyn.

“Senior Day was very bittersweet,” Kapteyn said. “It finally hit me that my softball career is coming to an end. Looking at the dugout, with all the underclassmen cheering and crying when the seniors were announced, was one of the happiest and saddest moments I’ve faced on that field.”

This weekend, the Chargers are scheduled to face the Northwood University Timberwolves in Midland, Michigan. They play at 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Saturday. 

These two games are important for the Chargers to retain their current seeding in the G-MAC, according to Gross. The Timberwolves are ranked fourth, two places behind the Chargers. 

“This is a big regional matchup and one that will help us secure our spot,” Gross said. “Winning these two games on Saturday would help us maintain the second seed in our conference. We’re sitting in second, and if we win these two games we will stay second.”