Angie Berry to retire from college bookstore after more than 30 years

After more than 30 years of working for the college, Angie Berry ’83 will retire from the bookstore on April 30.

“My favorite thing about my job has been the people,” Berry said. “I’ve loved working with the staff and customers on a daily basis. They’ve come to be like family.”

Berry was born and raised in Hillsdale, where she currently resides with her husband. She said she spent her early years sledding, going to concerts and plays, and swimming. 

“Hillsdale College is in my blood,” Berry said. “All through my young years and through high school, I was affiliated with campus as the child of a professor.”

Berry is the daughter of the late Arlan Gilbert, who was a professor of history at the college from 1960 to 1998.

“It touches my heart that Dad loved the place so much and got to see me basking in the light of Hillsdale, too,” Berry said.

She said she also worked in the bookstore as a student.

“When college came around, I initially thought that I did not want to go to Hillsdale,” Berry said. “I went elsewhere for a while and didn’t like it. I came to realize what a gem Hillsdale really was.”

After graduation, Berry worked in a variety of retail jobs off-campus before coming back to Hillsdale, first as a part-time worker and then in a full-time capacity since 1994.

“Angie is the smiling face that greets everyone when they come into the bookstore,” Bookstore Director Cindy Willing said. “She has supported all the faculty, staff, and students over the years.”

Sophomore Claire Lashaway has worked in the bookstore since her first semester on campus.

“It has been a wonderful experience working at the bookstore,” Lashaway said. “Ms. Angie was very supportive and patient in helping me learn a new job.”

The college will host a retirement party for Berry at 2 p.m. on April 30 in the Formal Lounge.

“Although we are sad to see Angie go, we are so grateful for the years of dedication she has given to all her colleagues and students throughout her time at Hillsdale,” Willing said. “We wish her the best for her retirement.”

Berry said she plans on spending her retirement traveling, baking, and reading.

“Maybe now I can sit down with my cup of tea and read a book in its entirety in one sitting,” Berry said. “I’ve sold books all these years. Now I can read them.”

Loading