Nick Fuentes is the host of the show “America First” on YouTube. | YouTube.com

Here’s what Nick Fuentes says about Jim Crow laws and racial seg­re­gation: “It was better for them. It was better for us. It was better in general.”

The 21-year-old creator and host of the “America First” show on YouTube later claimed that he was only joking. But if you believe that, then the joke’s on you. For Fuentes, every­thing is “us” versus “them”: white versus black, native versus immi­grant, Gentile versus Jew, straight versus gay, and man versus woman.

Con­ser­v­a­tives must reject this noxious huckster, who has no idea what authentic American con­ser­vatism rooted in con­sti­tu­tional prin­ciples is all about. He is, in fact, a gift to the Left because he allows Pro­gres­sives to smear Con­ser­v­a­tives as seething, backward troglodytes.

Dis­avowing Fuentes means avoiding his videos and refusing to retweet his com­ments on social media — and also speaking out against him when we have the oppor­tunity.

Chicago-based Fuentes gained a fol­lowing after he attended the Unite the Right rally, a gath­ering of white nation­alists in Char­lottesville in 2017.

In a 2018 video with Richard Spencer, a prominent speaker at the Unite the Right event, Fuentes obsessed over racial demo­graphics in the United States: “Even if we stopped all immi­gration tomorrow, because the country is, in terms of births, less than 50 percent white already, things are des­tined to be very dif­ferent already to say the least,” Fuentes said. “It’s a very simple task for how to change that… we could very easily identify which vari­ables have to change to reverse that sit­u­ation. You have the native-born pop­u­lation or the white pop­u­lation, and you have the foreign-born pop­u­lation. You have to get one of these numbers to increase and one of these numbers to go down.”

It doesn’t take a woke radical to see the problem with this way of thinking. Ronald Reagan had a better sense of what made America great. He liked to quote from a letter he once received: “You can go to Japan to live, but you cannot become Japanese. You can go to France to live and not become a Frenchman. You can go to Germany or Turkey, and you won’t become a German or a Turk. … Anybody from any corner of the world can come to America to live and become an American.”

Rather than buying into the demo­graphic deter­minism of Fuentes, Con­ser­v­a­tives should embrace the optimism of Reagan.

Fuentes also traffics in Holo­caust denial. Earlier this year, he com­pared the Nazis’ murder of Jews in gas chambers to cookies baking in an oven. As he giggled, he claimed that the Nazis had the capacity to kill only 200,000 to 300,000 people. The late his­torian Sir Martin Gilbert, however, wrote that the Nazis killed 6 million European Jews — and that they would have killed more but for their defeat by the Allies in World War II.

Fuentes con­sis­tently uses slurs for Jews and gay men on his show — terms that would get most Amer­icans fired from their jobs or removed from public office.

And he’s openly against women par­tic­i­pating in pol­itics.

“I will con­tinue my crusade against women in pol­itics,” Fuentes said this summer. “Have you ever stopped and con­sidered that maybe if you get offended, and there is such a strong and emo­tional reaction to political opinions you dis­agree with across the board, maybe that’s one of the reasons why you shouldn’t be making political deci­sions?”

What would Mar­garet Thatcher have thought of that? Maybe it’s not such a mystery. As the Iron Lady once quipped, “If you want some­thing said, ask a man; if you want some­thing done, ask a woman.”

Fuentes went on to claim that he wasn’t attacking all women, but instead “whores,” “sluts,” and “stupid, dirty bitches.” And in a video from earlier this year, called “Advice to Female Content Cre­ators,” Fuentes said women inter­ested in pol­itics would be better off getting their brothers, fathers, or hus­bands to do the work while they cook in the kitchen.

And then there was the time when he said that because sex is always enjoyable for both parties, rape is “just so not a big deal.”

Fuentes may call himself a Con­ser­v­ative, but he’s not. Con­ser­vatism is grounded the laws of nature and nature’s God. Only within this framework can people accept the rights and respon­si­bil­ities of cit­izens within a polity, including the estab­lishment and defense a gov­ernment that pro­tects the rights and freedoms of indi­viduals to think and speak for them­selves.

Race and sex have nothing to do with it. We’re all created equal.

Con­ser­v­a­tives shouldn’t just dis­tance them­selves from Fuentes. We should fight against his per­verse vision. It’s us against him.

Alex Nester is a senior studying eco­nomics and is the Opinions editor for The Col­legian.