Local attorney files candidacy for State House

Home Big Grid - Home Local attorney files candidacy for State House
Attorney Andrew Fink announces his candidacy for the 58th District seat in the Michigan State House of Representatives on Nov. 7. Carmel Kookogey | Collegian

Attorney Andrew Fink ’06 will run as a Republican to represent Michigan’s 58th District in the State House of Representatives. He made the announcement at a Hillsdale County Republican Committee meeting on Thursday, Nov. 7.

As an attorney, Fink said he’s had broad exposure to the law and realized that many areas of the law could use reform. 

“It’s never left my mind that I’d like to serve in the government, particularly in the legislature,” Fink said. “It’s something that I care a lot about. As I thought about what I wanted to do next, this is the thing that made the most sense to me.” 

After graduating from the University of Michigan Law School in 2010, Fink was on active duty in the Marines for three years before moving back to Michigan and practicing law with his family. 

“I’ve always thought of myself as somebody who was oriented more around service than working for profit,” Fink said. “Working so that other people could make their own choices in their own lives is what I always thought was more important.” 

Since January 2019, Fink served as State Sen. Mike Shirkey’s district director in Hillsdale County but resigned about a month ago to prepare running for office. 

“What I experienced as district director was seeing all walks of life and knowing what people here care about,” Fink said. 

Fink is the second Republican to announce his candidacy for the seat, with the deadline for filing in April. Hillsdale Mayor Adam Stockford announced his candidacy on Oct. 1. 

“I’ve been the mayor of Hillsdale for the past two years, and before that I served on City Council,” Stockford said at the Nov. 7 meeting. “I think that municipal experience is important because I see the way that things that happen at the state level affect the municipalities, the townships.”

Republican Ken Delaney of Branch County said his potential campaign is in the preliminary stages, though he has not filed for candidacy at this time. 

“It’s good that we have at least three people running so people have some choices,” Hillsdale County Republican Executive Chair Steve Vear said. “Last time there weren’t many. I think we have five people running for the primary.”

Generally, four or five candidates run as Republicans for the 58th seat, Vear said, and he added that it’s likely more people will announce their candidacy as April draws nearer. 

At this time, Fink and Stockford are the only Republicans running for the 58th House District. Steven Soward of North Adams has filed to seek the Democratic Party nomination.

Incumbent Republican Eric Leutheuser has held the seat for the past six years and is term-limited from running again. Leutheuser did not attend the meeting.

Julia Mullins contributed to this report.