Career Services to host trip to University of Michigan law school

Home News Homepage - News Career Services to host trip to University of Michigan law school
Career Services will host a trip for students to visit the law school at the University of Michigan on Friday. Wikimedia Commons

Career Services will be hosting a tour for interested underclassmen to the University of Michigan’s law school Friday, Jan. 25.

Ken Koopmans, executive director of Career Services, who will be leading the trip, said the day-long event will expose students to both the application process and the academic experience of a top 10 law school.

A top 10 is among the “crème de la crème” of law schools. Its graduates are actively recruited by the biggest and most notable law firms and go on to lead distinguished careers in law. All of the sitting justices on the Supreme Court graduated from a top 10.

Students will meet admissions staff, tour the campus, and have a Q&A with Hillsdale alumni currently in Michigan’s program before concluding with lunch and the drive back to Hillsdale.

Freshman John Biscaro said he’s excited to learn more about the possibility of going to law school.

“I hope to gain more insight about whether law school is the right path for me,” Biscaro said.

He also said he wants to see the atmosphere of a law school and what he’d be getting into, both are things that can’t be judged from a law school’s website.

First-year law student Jacob Weaver `17 will be on the Q&A panel. He said he wants to explain the differences he’s found between Hillsdale and Michigan Law.

“There’s a much narrower focus, a much more diverse ideological spectrum, and a significant emphasis on the application of the material you learn,” he said. “Law school doesn’t just train you how to be a lawyer, but it also trains you how to think like a lawyer.”