Donald Trump, courtesy of Wiki­media Commons

The election of Pres­ident Donald Trump brought a rebirth of the nation-state and gov­ernment by consent along with some decisive leg­islative vic­tories — and his sup­porters expect much more to come.  But one of the biggest accom­plish­ments under Trump has not been in pol­itics but in culture: the dele­git­imization of today’s elites.

When the news of Harvey Wein­stein broke, it came as a shock to many Amer­icans.  But Hol­lywood wasn’t sur­prised — everyone already knew. They were just sur­prised that the story broke. After all, Vulture reported that the New York Times killed the story back in 2004 at the urging of Matt Damon and Russel Crowe.

But should anyone be sur­prised that an industry sat­u­rating American tele­vision with sexual immodesty turns out to be a cesspool of gross immorality and per­version? And how many of these Hol­lywood elites were close per­sonal friends of Wein­stein while lec­turing America on Trump’s past behavior? Our Hol­lywood starlets never pass up a chance for hyp­o­critical moral pos­turing.

They decry income inequality while living the most lux­u­rious lifestyles in world history.  They lecture us on global warming while zipping around the world in private jets. They crit­icize our hes­i­tance to accept refugees from volatile nations while staying tucked away in their gated com­mu­nities. They push gun control while shooting films with gun vio­lence.

Trump has taken on two of the biggest sports indus­tries — the NBA and the NFL — with strength. When the Golden State War­riors and NBA player Stephen Curry hes­i­tated at the oppor­tunity to visit the White House, Trump imme­di­ately revoked their invi­tation. He doesn’t need them.

Lebron James crit­i­cized Trump voters, saying “At the end of the day, I don’t think a lot of people was edu­cated.” James’ struggles with simple subject-verb agreement aside, the great irony is that James com­pleted only a high school edu­cation. The irony is stunning.

Jeffrey Goldberg, The Editor-in-Chief of The Atlantic, tweeted “The Pres­ident of the United States is now in a war with Stephen Curry and LeBron James. This is not a war Trump will win.”

Perhaps Goldberg forgets that Lebron James cam­paigned exten­sively for Hillary in Ohio, a state which Trump went on to win by about 9 points (after Ohio went blue in both 2008 and 2012). It appears to be a battle Trump can actually win.

When Mike Pence walked out of an Indi­anapolis Colts game after players knelt for the National Anthem, his actions were crit­i­cized as a political stunt. But the entire concept of kneeling was a political stunt from the start. The dif­ference is that now the other side is fighting back. After all, anthem protests are wildly unpopular with flyover-state Amer­icans — by far the biggest source of NFL revenue. Why shouldn’t Pence leave on behalf of the silent majority?

After con­sec­utive weeks of massive ratings drops and financial losses in adver­tising, not to mention the humil­i­ation of Pence’s walkout, NFL Com­mis­sioner Roger Goodell wrote a letter asking all players to stand for the anthem.

This is how you fight a culture war. Can anyone imagine Jeb Bush or John Kasich taking on the NFL? Any quick glance at nflarrest.com is enough to show that these paid ath­letes are not par­a­digms of virtue. They are not role models

It turns out our elites are some of our worst.  Enough of their sanc­timony.  Enough of their repeated show of disgust for everyday Amer­icans, believing them­selves to be our moral and intel­lectual supe­riors. They are neither. They ought not be respected because they are not respectable. They ought not be honored because they are not hon­orable.

Donald Trump is showing us how to fight back in a culture war, and how to win. He has under­mined their unholy priesthood and rebuked their con­de­scension. He has toppled the sacred cow of a group whose hubris knows no bounds. Their osten­ta­tious dis­plays are quickly becoming impotent.

If they want to act and play sports, that’s fine. But they need to stick to that.

• William Wallace

Great article.

• Daniel Duffy

“When the news of Harvey Wein­stein broke”

No mention of “grab them by the pussy”?

• Daniel Duffy

Maybe he isn’t fighting a cul­tural war.

Maybe he is just a crude, vulgar racist/,misogynist/narcissist/sociopath.

• Camus53

Oh please…tying the decline in NFL TV ratings directly to the flag protest is a simpleton’s point.

Maybe we should talk about the near 60% decline in actual atten­dance at the flag waving, USA and Con­fed­erate, country music, beer drinking, over­whelm­ingly white, Repub­lican, con­ser­v­ative voting fans of the sport of NASCAR!

The “humil­i­ation of Pence’s walkout”. Really? One of the worst political stunts, at taxpayer’s expense, in recent memory.

No…let’s talk about the Trump pres­i­dency and how it will go down in the books as one of the darkest moments in modern political and American history.

this is like a locker room speech .… for a bunch of know-nothings. Does this writer actually think that Trump is showing people how to win? Or that he did whatever it took to win.… a phyrric victory