Alex Nowrasteh Wikipedia | Courtesy

Praxis will hold its final event this semester on immi­gration with Alex Nowrasteh, who will be speaking on why “The best argument against immi­gration is still wrong” in Dow B at 7 p.m. on Nov. 16.  

Nowrasteh is a leading expert on immi­gration at the Cato Institute with a master’s from the London School of Eco­nomics. Known for having a lib­er­tarian stance on immi­gration, he advo­cates for freer movement of peoples with less eco­nomic incen­tives for immi­grants to receive welfare.

Praxis Pres­ident junior Emma McCormick expressed her enthu­siasm for bringing Nowrasteh to campus.

“We’re excited to bring him because he’s knowl­edgeable about the subject and has some name recog­nition,” McCormick said. “The topic of immi­gration itself is inter­esting because as econ­o­mists, it’s some­thing that there’s clear indi­cators based on eco­nomics about making deci­sions on immi­gration. On the wider campus it’s more dis­puted. So this is def­i­nitely a very debatable topic and we hope that people from all dis­ci­plines will come to learn more.”

Sophomore Christian Betz, who plans on majoring in political economy, said he will be going to the event without a firm stance on the debated issue.

“I’m going in order to learn and see what they have to say,” Betz said. “I’m not com­pletely sold by either side of the immi­gration debate. I want to better under­stand their argu­ments and maybe arrive at a better under­standing of what policy should be taken by the U.S. with regard to immi­gration.”

McCormick hopes the event will be the first step in a greater plan of action for stu­dents at Hillsdale.

“It’s hard to take action on certain things, and immi­gration is one of those frus­trating topics because it’s such a political matter, and there’s so much butting of heads in D.C. that it’s really hard to affect change,” McCormick said. “The first step is under­standing the argu­ments and then if people can learn from that, be able to take what they learned and not only come to a stronger under­standing of what they believe, but also being able to debate people in other areas of life after­wards.”