Just after 3 a.m. this morning, one of the four charter buses with Hillsdale College stu­dents on its way to the Con­ser­v­ative Political Action Com­mittee hit a bump, swerved, and tilted onto two wheels — but managed to stay on the road, according to stu­dents on the buses.

The bus mostly held stu­dents from other col­leges and uni­ver­sities, with only a few Hillsdale stu­dents on the bus, according to Young Amer­icans for Freedom Pres­ident senior Nathan Brand. After the driver cor­rected the bus, the stu­dents con­tinued to a rest stop, where stu­dents and drivers were ques­tioned by authorities.

No one on the bus suf­fered injuries, but sewage from the toilet splashed on people and property during the incident. Brand said the stu­dents were encouraged to take pic­tures of every­thing, so they could be reim­bursed for losses.

“I was trying to sleep when it hap­pened,” sophomore Mclain Driver said. “I heard our bus driver say, ‘oh my god!’ I saw the lead bus veering to the left off the road. They hit the shoulder, and there was this huge cloud of dust. They veered back over, and I saw the bus start to tip.”

Freshman Razi Lane was on the lead bus that almost flipped.

“Basi­cally, we hit a groove in the side of the road,” Lane said. “The driver over­cor­rected, the bus went up onto two wheels, and then settled back down. The sewage in the back of the vehicle did flood part of the bus, so that was another reason why we weren’t able to con­tinue with that bus.”

Brand said the caravan waited five hours to get a new bus and driver. The other two buses waited for the fourth in the caravan to be restored.

“I know for sure the kids were shaken up,” Brand said. “A girl said she hit her head, another boy said he got a cut on his side, but I think para­medics decided they were OK.”

Brand said all Hillsdale stu­dents are safe, and the worst injuries are just a few scrapes and bruises. The group restarted its trek to CPAC at 8:30 a.m. and arrived in National Harbor, Maryland, just after 3:00 p.m.