Volleyball 2-1 vs. GLIAC foes

Home Sports Volleyball 2-1 vs. GLIAC foes
Volleyball 2-1 vs. GLIAC foes

ollege women’s volleyball team went 2–0 against Ohio Dominican University and Tiffin University.

Then on Tuesday, the team suffered a frustrating loss to the Northwood University Timberwolves, 1-3.

Gravel said Tuesday’s match could be summed up as disappointing.

Against the Ohio Dominican Panthers last Friday, Hillsdale won 3–1.

“We came out really strong,” junior Caitlin Kopmeyer said.

The team lost the second set, however, and the lineup was switched to a 6–2. Kopmeyer said this put two setters into the rotation.

“After the second game we realized that we needed to get our sense of urgency back,” freshman Emily Wolfert said. “We needed to come back fighting.”

By the game’s end the Chargers claimed a victory, as sophomore Alexis Waugh had a career-high 23 assists and Wolfert contributed three service aces. Junior Sydney Lenhart started at libero and had 17 digs during the match.

Kopmeyer had 17 kills in the game against Ohio Dominican, while senior Lauren Grover delivered nine kills, three solo blocks and five block assists.

“After losing the second set, we got our act together and pulled through for the third and fourth sets,” Kopmeyer said.

Saturday, the Chargers faced the Tiffin University Dragons. After losing the first set to the Dragons 25–19, the Chargers came back to win the next three sets 25–19, 25–10, and 25–14.

“We were able to come back with a sense of urgency in the second set and shake off the loss,” Gravel said.

Lenhart started in the libero position and then switched with freshman Jenalle Beaman in the second set.

By the end of the match Kopmeyer delivered 18 kills, including the game–winning kill against the Dragons. Senior Lauren Grover finished with a .556 hitting percentage, four blocks, and 11 kills. Lenhart finished the match with 16 assists and 11 digs.

Against the Timberwolves on Tuesday, the Chargers came out with a win in the first set, 30–28. Northwood then won three consecutive sets and the match 25–21, 25–23, and 25–22.

“Many teams are playing the uniform, which means we need to play our best because teams are expecting our best. Our uniform has been beating up [the GLIAC] over the years,” Gravel said.

Although the Chargers lost the game, the Timberwolves never had more than an eight–point spread during any of the four sets.

The Chargers are on the road this coming weekend against Malone University and Walsh University. Both teams are new to the GLIAC this year.