A Michigan State Police car at the Lansing post. Courtesy | Twitter
Michigan State Police Arrested Treston Mar­celle Wright Courtesy | Twitter

Michigan State Police arrested a man from Angola, Indiana, March 25 for drunk driving after causing a crash that injured two people in Hillsdale County late at night on March 24. 

30-year-old Treston Mar­celle Wright was driving north­bound on US 127 in a truck in Som­erset Township attempting to pass a vehicle when he struck a pas­senger vehicle that was trav­eling south­bound. Two people from Cement City occupied the south­bound vehicle, according to a MSP news release.

Hillsdale County Pros­e­cutor Neal Brady charged Wright with two charges of oper­ating under the influence causing serious injury, according to court documents.

All three occu­pants had to be removed from their vehicle using the jaws of life and trans­ferred to Henry Ford Alle­giance Health in Jackson for treatment. Police trans­ferred Wright to the Hillsdale County Jail after he received treatment at the hos­pital. The two occu­pants of the pas­senger vehicle remained hos­pi­talized in serious con­dition, according to the news release. 

Wright faced a pre-trial hearing on March 25, according to court documents. 

Dis­trict Court Judge Megan Stiverson set Wright’s bail at $50,000. Wright posted a bond of $12,500 and was released from the Hillsdale County Jail on March 31, according to court documents. 

Wright is scheduled for a probable cause con­ference on April 13, court doc­u­ments state. 

The probable cause con­ference, for the ease of description, is just an informal way to try to resolve the case,” Kim­berly Burger, Wright’s attorney said in an email.

Burger said if the case is not resolved, Wright will face a pre­lim­inary exam scheduled for April 20 where pros­e­cutors will show probable cause that Wright com­mitted a crime. 

It is not guilt or inno­cence, it is just to see if there is enough infor­mation to proceed to trial on those felony offenses,” Burger said. 

The Michigan State Police were assisted by Liberty Township Fire Department, Addison Fire and Ambu­lance, Som­erset Township Fire Department, and Columbia Township Fire Department.