State police arrest Indiana man connected to near-fatal crash

A Michigan State Police car at the Lansing post. Courtesy | Twitter
Michigan State Police Arrested Treston Marcelle Wright Courtesy | Twitter

Michigan State Police arrested a man from Angola, Indiana, March 25 for drunk driving after causing a crash that injured two people in Hillsdale County late at night on March 24. 

30-year-old Treston Marcelle Wright was driving northbound on US 127 in a truck in Somerset Township attempting to pass a vehicle when he struck a passenger vehicle that was traveling southbound. Two people from Cement City occupied the southbound vehicle, according to a MSP news release.

Hillsdale County Prosecutor Neal Brady charged Wright with two charges of operating under the influence causing serious injury, according to court documents.

All three occupants had to be removed from their vehicle using the jaws of life and transferred to Henry Ford Allegiance Health in Jackson for treatment. Police transferred Wright to the Hillsdale County Jail after he received treatment at the hospital. The two occupants of the passenger vehicle remained hospitalized in serious condition, according to the news release. 

Wright faced a pre-trial hearing on March 25, according to court documents. 

District Court Judge Megan Stiverson set Wright’s bail at $50,000. Wright posted a bond of $12,500 and was released from the Hillsdale County Jail on March 31, according to court documents. 

Wright is scheduled for a probable cause conference on April 13, court documents state. 

The probable cause conference, for the ease of description, is just an informal way to try to resolve the case,” Kimberly Burger, Wright’s attorney said in an email.

Burger said if the case is not resolved, Wright will face a preliminary exam scheduled for April 20 where prosecutors will show probable cause that Wright committed a crime. 

It is not guilt or innocence, it is just to see if there is enough information to proceed to trial on those felony offenses,” Burger said. 

The Michigan State Police were assisted by Liberty Township Fire Department, Addison Fire and Ambulance, Somerset Township Fire Department, and Columbia Township Fire Department.