Founding Fest returns Saturday

Founding Fest returns Saturday

Founding Fest will return to the quad on Saturday, Dec. 3 to celebrate Hillsdale’s mission and founding.

Photo booths, free mugs, and hot chocolate will be available to students from 5-9 pm, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations Braden VanDyke said. Alpacas will also join the celebration on the quad.

In previous years, the handlers have allowed students to pet the alpacas, according to VanDyke.

“They are coming from Lowry’s Little Flock Farm, a local area hobby farm that sells winter clothing products like mittens, socks, hats, etc.,” VanDyke said. “They are a favorite of ours, a very kind family business that we love to work with year after year.”

All the events at Founding Fest seek to bolster community amongst students, faculty, and alumni, VanDyke said.

“Founding Fest engages and draws together the entire college community in what is quickly becoming a favorite amongst the students, faculty, and staff,” VanDyke said.

VanDyke said he is the primary coordinator of the event, as he books vendors, sets up catering menus, communicates between departments, and shops for decorations.

“I enjoy working with people that come from all different walks of campus that bring a variety of perspectives and ideas to the table,” said senior and 1844 Society Vice President of Marketing Jack Hammons. “I love the comradery of Founding Fest. The aesthetic and the environment is very nice between the fire pits, the hot chocolate, and the alpacas.”

Junior and Vice President of Social Media Grace Gottwalt said she enjoys the teamwork and the planning which goes into the event.

“My favorite part about organizing the event has been seeing everything come together,” Gottwalt said. “From a memory of last year’s Founding Fest and Philanthropy Week to deciding what new things to bring and fan favorites to keep for an anticipated great evening on the quad.”