Senior Reagan Gen­siejewski (left), senior Lily McHale, junior Gabs Bes­sette, and sophomore Carter McNish at the screening of their doc­u­mentary.
Col­legian | Reagan Gensiejewski

A student-pro­duced doc­u­mentary received third place last week from the Michigan Asso­ci­ation of Broadcasters.

Senior Reagan Gen­siejewski, senior Lily McHale, junior Gabs Bes­sette, and sophomore Carter McNish made the film in Adjunct Instructor Buddy Moorehouse’s Video Sto­ry­telling class in the fall of 2021. “Defending Liberty” follows the stories of four Hillsdale stu­dents who served in the Civil War.

“The story of Hillsdale College and the Civil War is truly excep­tional, and it had never been told in a doc­u­mentary before,” Moore­house said. “Gabs, Reagan, Lily, and Carter were the ones who had the honor of getting to tell that story and they did an amazing job with it. And now they’ve won an award for it, too. That’s just so cool, and I’m so proud of them.”

Gen­siejewski said Moorehouse’s guidance enabled her class to finish the documentary.

“When you’re starting off with a new medium in jour­nalism, it’s daunting,” she said. “We knew this was a really important topic, so we started to get stressed a few weeks out about if the film would be good enough. Buddy was always so con­fident in our abil­ities, and I think that’s reflected in the film.”

Moore­house said he is impressed that the stu­dents fin­ished in the top three, con­sid­ering the number of col­leges and uni­ver­sities which enter the MAB awards.

“It was a nice val­i­dation of the job they did telling the story of Hillsdale College and the Civil War,” he said.

Director of the Dow Jour­nalism Program John J. Miller said he is also proud to see Hillsdale stu­dents receive this recognition.

“They pro­duced a very good doc­u­mentary about the college and the Civil War, telling stories that many of us wouldn’t have heard but for their telling it,” he said. “If we can keep offering courses in video, our stu­dents will keep winning awards.”

Stu­dents in Moorehouse’s course on doc­u­mentary film­making this semester screened their film, “Aliens in the Arb,” last night in Plaster Audi­torium. It tells the story of an alleged UFO sighting on campus in 1966.