Larry Arnn poses in Central Hall in 2010.
Courtesy | Cumulus

College Pres­ident Larry Arnn will receive an award next week from The New Cri­terion, an arts and cul­tural crit­icism magazine.

“We thought Larry Arnn would be the perfect person for this award,” said Roger Kimball, editor and pub­lisher of The New Cri­terion. “He really seems to be on the intel­lectual horizon at the moment.”

The pub­li­cation will present Arnn with the Edmund Burke Award for Service to Culture and Society at a cer­emony on April 28 at the Met­ro­politan Club in New York City. 

The award rec­og­nizes people who align with the publication’s “com­mitment to pre­serving our cul­tural pat­rimony,” according to its website. Past winners include vis­iting pro­fessor and his­torian Victor Davis Hanson, former Sec­retary of State Henry Kissinger, and biog­rapher Andrew Roberts.

Kimball pointed to Arnn’s success at building Hillsdale College into an “edu­ca­tional pow­er­house” and “a model for other insti­tu­tions” as reasons for his selection. 

“He has trans­formed Hillsdale into the pre­em­inent liberal arts insti­tution in the country,” Kimball said. “It’s extra­or­di­narily excellent in its teaching, but beyond that its mission really under­stands what a liberal edu­cation is all about.”

Kimball also noted Arnn’s work on the 1776 Com­mission under former Pres­ident Donald Trump, where he served as chairman of the com­mission from its inception in December 2020 to its dis­banding by Pres­ident Joe Biden in January 2021. 

“Dr. Arnn has trans­formed Hillsdale into a beacon of edu­ca­tional excel­lence at a time when higher edu­cation is oth­erwise in ter­minal freefall,” said James Panero, exec­utive editor of The New Cri­terion, in an April 11 interview with Arnn.  “Hillsdale has attracted the attention of mil­lions of Amer­icans as it serves as a national model for an edu­ca­tional insti­tution rooted in clas­sical American values.”

Arnn will speak on “Con­sis­tency in Pol­itics” at the award gala, referring to a 1932 essay by Winston Churchill.

“‘Con­sis­tency in Pol­itics’ is an essay, one of his best, by Winston Churchill,” Arnn said in the interview. “He gives an account of the changes in the careers of Edmund Burke, William Glad­stone, and Joshua Cham­berlain. He excuses two of those guys and con­demns one of them.”