Officer Todd Holtz retired from the City of Hillsdale Police Department this month after 32 years of service.

City of Hillsdale Police Chief Scott Hephner said Holtz will be dif­ficult to replace.

“Todd Holtz was one that it didn’t matter what the call was, he went on it, and I knew it was going to be handled,” Hephner said. “He had a tremendous amount of expe­rience and training, and he had the ability and the toolkit to work through whatever came up.”

Hephner said almost two years ago, Holtz told the department he planned to retire after 32 years on the job, which is when officers can draw the maximum pension.

“Somebody that’s done this job for 32 years — there’s no way I would ask him to stay on longer. People like us, but they don’t like to see us because usually that means some­thing has gone wrong in their life,” Hephner said. “Thirty-two years is a long time to deal with people’s worst days.”

Officer Thad Doty said Holtz was not only a pro­fes­sional officer, but a good friend.

“He kind of took me under his wing when I started and kind of showed me the ropes,” Doty said. “He was just a good all-around guy to be around, at work and off duty.”

Holtz excelled in how he served the elderly and the young, Hephner said.

“I think a lot of people thought early on he was a big rough-and-gruff type of law enforcement officer,” retired officer Ted Brendel said. “As years went on, people realized that he was more caring and went the extra step to make sure people were treated in a decent way.”

Brendel said he and Holtz both grew up in Adrian and have similar backgrounds.

“We seemed to work off of each other and com­ple­mented each other,” Brendel said. “One person would have a strength in one aspect, and one would in another. Working with him for  many years, we were able to antic­ipate how one person was going to handle one com­plaint com­pared to another. We had a good working relationship.”

Holtz will receive an appre­ci­ation cer­tificate for his years of service at the May 2 City Council meeting, according to Hephner.

“We’re excited to see the next gen­er­ation of police officers take the reins,” Mayor Adam Stockford said. “We appre­ciate Todd’s many years of service.”