Winston Churchill | Wiki­media Commons

The college will publish a new book of articles about Winston Churchill this summer.

Drawn from the website of the Churchill Project, the col­lection, “Grand Alliance: Churchill Studies at Hillsdale College,” will include work from Churchill scholars such as Andrew Roberts and Ronald I. Cohen.

The editors of the volume are College Pres­ident Larry Arnn and Richard M. Lang­worth, senior fellow of the Churchill Project.

“We view Churchill as one of, if not the most, pre­em­inent statesmen of the 20th century,” said Colin Brown, a current Ph.D. can­didate and research assistant to Arnn. “By looking at his record we can best under­stand what states­manship in the modern world, and states­manship in general, looks like.”

The book also will include pre­vi­ously unpub­lished material, Brown said.

The Churchill Project seeks “to prop­agate a right under­standing of Churchill’s record,” according to its website. It has pub­lished Churchill’s official biog­raphy in eight volumes as well as 23 volumes of doc­u­ments related to the British statesman.

To create the “Grand Alliance,” Hillsdale brought together Churchill scholars and com­pleted studies to promote the mission of the project, Brown said. 

The col­lection con­sists of 14 articles. The first two describe the com­pletion of Churchill’s official biog­raphy and the acqui­sition of the most com­plete col­lection of Churchill’s con­tri­bu­tions to books, peri­od­icals, and other works. 

Eight articles cover Churchill’s states­manship and topics such as social reform, geopol­itics, and the World Wars. The final four articles address con­tem­porary con­tro­versies about Churchill. In addition to Roberts, con­trib­utors include Lang­worth, who wrote about accu­sa­tions against Churchill’s legacy, and Zewditu Gebrey­ohannes and Zareer Masani.

As a Churchill fellow, Taryn Murphy ’21 worked on the “Grand Alliance” col­lection. She said she proofread a man­u­script, lis­tened to hun­dreds of recordings of radio broad­casts and speeches by the prime min­ister, and read and sum­ma­rized Churchill essays.

“Throughout his life, Churchill switched political parties mul­tiple times and advo­cated for policies some might cat­e­gorize as left-leaning, such as expanding the welfare state,” Murphy said. “But what is most inspiring about Churchill is that he was never afraid to switch his position on a subject when gen­uinely con­vinced that he was wrong. Churchill sought truth always.”