Chief Rogers orga­nized the camp. | Col­legian Archives

The dean of men’s office is hosting the first ever all-male student Man Up event this Sunday from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

“Man Camp” will feature two lec­tures on manhood, fol­lowed by a hog roast and a beer brew at the Searle Center, according to Asso­ciate Dean of Men Jeffery “Chief” Rogers.

“It is a good thing when we can get all the men together to talk about what it means to be a man. It’s foun­da­tional,” Rogers said.

Rogers said he and Dean of Men Aaron Petersen came up with the idea for the event after junior and senior men men­tioned the lack of events for upperclassmen.

“Man Up! just focuses on freshmen,” he said. “But we want an event for all our men.”

Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Pol­itics Kevin Slack and Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Man­agement Peter Jen­nings will lead the two lec­tures, fol­lowed by a Q&A session, Petersen said.

Jen­nings will speak on manhood in light of the Civil War sol­diers from Hillsdale, Rogers said.

“They fought for what they believed in. They put their lives on the line,” he said.

The event will also offer free T‑shirts with the Greek word, “spoudaios” on them.

“Spoudaios means ‘serious man,’” Rogers said.

Seniors who come to the event will also receive Hillsdale’s first minted coin, which fea­tures the profile of the Civil War statue.

Stu­dents can sign up for the event or by using the QR code on the flyers around campus, Rogers said.

Petersen said the dean of men’s office is charged with the task of forming men, and inter­ac­tions with pro­fessors is one way to facil­itate this process.

“One thing we learn from working with guys is that we need to keep them on mission,” Petersen said. “We’ve got to stay on our feet.”