New smokehouse opens in Osseo

Home City News New smokehouse opens in Osseo
New smokehouse opens in Osseo
The sign outside the new M&M Smokehouse in Osseo. Morgan Channels/Collegian
The sign outside the new M&M Smokehouse in Osseo.
Morgan Channels/Collegian

Shane and Jennifer Miller and Josh and Tammy Monohan opened M&M Smokehouse in Osseo, Michigan, at 4880 Hudson Rd. The store offers customers a variety of meats and cheeses, and will process deer during the hunting season.

Shane Miller and Josh Monohan came up with the idea to open the store. Josh Monohan used to process deer out of his home, Jennifer Miller said, and he had a steady base of customers there. After some time, he decided he wanted to expand: Josh Monohan saw a demand and decided to fill it, according to Jennifer Miller.

“We’ve always thrown the idea around, but one day we saw this building sitting here, and we decided to check it out, and it all just kind of went from there,” Jennifer Miller said.

Before they purchased the building, the Millers and the Monohans waited for the right moment to start their business together.

That right moment was July 15, 2016, when they purchased the property. The families totally renovated the building and opened it later this year on Oct. 20. It took them only 95 days to close the deal and renovate the building before opening, which Shane Miller said speaks to the hard work they poured into opening their own small business.

Shane Miller said the idea to open M&M came to the two families after they saw a need in their local community.

“We had a vision. We saw the need,” Shane Miller said. “Josh and I and our wives brainstormed and tried to find a spot.”

Jerome County Market in Jerome, Michigan offers up some competition to M&M, but in terms of prices and selection, the two smokehouses offer different products. M&M will only process deer during Michigan and Ohio’s legal hunting season.  Another competitor, McAuliffe’s Meat Market in Addison, Michigan, does not process deer, which allows M&M to reach a broader market.

According to Brenda Pease, a Hillsdale area resident, she has found her new favorite meat market in M&M.

“The new meat market is the greatest thing since sliced bread,” Pease said. “We have been customers of McAuliffe Meats in Addison for years. If you have not made a trip to the M&M, you should.”

After the work of creating and opening their shop, the Millers and the Monohans can speak from personal experience that dreams take work.

“Be passionate,” Jennifer Miller said. “Because you’re going to spend a lot of time getting it started and a lot of time once it’s started. You’ll be there all the time.  But it’s worth it as long as you’re passionate and you can handle the stress.”