Join the Staff

Join the Staff

All Hillsdale stu­dents are welcome to write pieces and create videos for the Col­legian as free­lance reporters or take photos for the Col­legian as a free­lance pho­tog­rapher. If you would like to be assigned a story, video, or photo, you can come to our weekly assignment meetings in the jour­nalism office on Monday’s starting at 7:00 pm. Coming to a meeting does not guar­antee that you will receive an assignment. For more infor­mation, please contact us!

During the spring semester, stu­dents may apply to be on staff at the Col­legian. Those chosen for staff posi­tions — such as editor-in-chief, sec­tions editors, assistant section editors — are stu­dents who have shown respon­si­bility and superior writing quality when reporting or taking photos. The con­sis­tency with which stu­dents come to assignment meetings is also a factor in choosing Col­legian staff members.

If stu­dents are inter­ested in pur­suing a jour­nalism minor in addition to writing for the Col­legian, they need to take the Col­legian JRN380 course as well as one other jour­nalism course every semester starting their sophomore year . A spe­cial­ization in jour­nalism is few credits and requires few jour­nalism courses.