The Hillsdale women’s tennis team started their season this past weekend
Courtesy | Hillsdale College Ath­letic Department

The Hillsdale Chargers Women’s tennis team rebounded from a loss to Wayne State with a decisive 6 – 1 win over Saginaw Valley on Sunday.

Head Coach Nicole Wal­bright said that the prepa­ration leading up paid off in a big way. 

“Over the week, we focused on being match ready and the whole team showed up to play,” Wal­bright said. “I was really happy with every per­for­mance from the team.” 

While energy was lacking during the home opener, the Chargers were able to come out with fire from the beginning on Sunday. 

“Everyone was super high energy throughout the whole match on and off the court,” Senior Sarah Hackman said. 

As opposed to last week’s outdoor matches, this week’s matches were played indoors where it was easier to cheer team­mates on. Senior Sophia Spinazze said this aided in boosting the team’s com­pet­itive spirit.

“I think it was really helpful with main­taining the energy the whole way through because you could see everyone and cheer people on,” Spinazze said.

Hackman, along with Junior Canela Luna, started off the day with a 6 – 0 doubles win against SVSU’s Sara Neves and Nicole Johnson. 

In the remaining two doubles matches, Libby McGivern and Julia Wagner picked up a 6 – 3 win for the Chargers defeating Chelsea Dzenga and Eliz­abeth Stuart before SVSU’s Emma Charlton and Alexis Anthes defeated Spinazze and Ellie Chawner 6 – 4 for the Chargers’ lone doubles loss.

In No. 1 singles for the Chargers Hackman defeated Sara Neves 6 – 0, 6 – 2. Fol­lowing this the Chargers went on a run as Canela Luna defeated Emma Charlton 6 – 3, 6 – 2, McGivern defeated Nicole Johnson 6 – 1, 6 – 1, and Spinazze defeated Chelsea Dzeng 6 – 1, 6 – 1.

Helana For­mentin then recorded the Chargers lone singles loss against Adiya Young losing 6 – 2, 5 – 7, 5 – 10, before Chawner rounded off the day beating Irene Bar­reiro 7 – 5, 5 – 7, 10 – 3.

While the Chargers played well, Hackman said they are looking to improve upon as many areas as possible. 

“I think we’re still trying to work on what our doubles pairings are,” Hackman said. “Hope­fully playing this fall semester and playing with all these dif­ferent people, we will really be able to nail down our pairings.”

The win has pro­duced feelings of con­fi­dence for the team moving into the weekend. 

“We are taking a couple recovery days and will be hoping to head into the weekend fresh and excited to play a lot of matches,” Wal­bright said. 

The team pre­pares to host an invi­ta­tional tour­nament where they will compete against several schools in doubles and singles matches. Spinazze said that it will be important to put their best foot forward in the doubles matches as both Tiffin Uni­versity and Wayne State will be attending each with good doubles teams.