Stu­dents compete in obstacle course this weekend at Hayden Park
Courtesy | Bill Lundberg

The United States Army will chal­lenge the Hillsdale student body to test its physical limits at the Hillsdale All American Warrior Chal­lenge this Sunday, Oct. 17, in Hayden Park. 

Teams of four will race against the clock and com­plete a wide variety of phys­i­cally demanding activ­ities in hopes of winning a steak dinner. 

The Man Up series — an ini­tiative from the dean’s office — will sponsor the com­pe­tition, according to Asso­ciate Dean of Men Jeffery “Chief” Rogers. 

The teams will compete in a series of chal­lenges, including mud crawl, rock climbing wall, tire flip, sled drag, team log carry, hay climb, bucket carry, and pull-ups. 

Com­petitors will be scored according to the fastest times, and the top three fastest teams will receive ribbons, Rogers said. There will also be awards for best dressed team, best team motto, and dirtiest team. 

Rogers said about 40 people have signed up so far, with more expected to join. He will be leading a team of faculty members in the com­pe­tition, he said. 

Rogers said he hopes to encourage some friendly rivalry among the teams and foster competition.

“We threw the gauntlet down to the guys,” he said. “What better way to do that than a steak dinner?”

Sophomore Tomek Ignatik said the event is an excellent oppor­tunity for stu­dents here at the college. 

“Here at Hillsdale, we measure our­selves aca­d­e­m­i­cally all the time, but we don’t do it phys­i­cally enough, and I think this is a great oppor­tunity for stu­dents to be able to do that,” he said.

Freshman Garrett Goolsby said he thinks the event will be a ben­e­ficial chal­lenge for men at the college.

“I think it will provide a great oppor­tunity for men to get out there and be men,” Goolsby said. 

Rogers said he hopes stu­dents will take advantage of this oppor­tunity to test them­selves against a phys­i­cally demanding course and develop more active daily routines. 

“I think every man and woman wants to be a warrior at heart,” Rogers said. “That is what the spirit of it is: being an American warrior.”