The vol­leyball team went unde­feated last weekend
Anthony Lupi | Collegian

The Hillsdale Chargers’ vol­leyball team went 3 – 0 this week, as they lost just two sets across all three matches, staying unde­feated in G‑MAC play.

The Charger’s week started with a sweep of the Lake Erie Uni­versity Storm and the Ursuline College Arrows over the weekend, and ended with a five-set win over the Dav­enport Uni­versity Pan­thers on Tuesday. Their season record is now 14 – 2 overall and 7 – 0 in con­ference play. 

On Friday, the Chargers took the Storm in three sets. In all three sets, the Chargers kept the Storm under 20 points. The offensive play was upheld by freshman Amy Buffini, who ended the match with 10 kills. 

Buffini also had one service ace and eight kills, assisted by freshman Alli Wiese with another eight digs, sophomore Audrey Riley with six more, and senior Madie Schider with five. The Chargers were able to have 14 of their players see court time throughout the match.

“This weekend we were able to be in control of the matches from start to finish and show that we are capable of beating teams deci­sively and effi­ciently.” Senior setter Lindsey Mertz said.  “Ursuline has com­peted with some of the best teams in the con­ference, but I think we were able to neu­tralize their weapons and stay focused on being smart, aggressive, and disciplined.”

On Sat­urday, the Chargers brought the same fate to the Arrows, whose highest score for a set was 21, with the other two sets kept in the teens. The Chargers kept a strong grip on the Arrows throughout the match, a part of that grip being the result of 11 service aces. 

Junior Karoline Shelton led the offensive play and fin­ished the match with 14 digs and 12 kills. Wiese com­pleted this match with 24 digs total, which is the highest she has earned in a three-set match this season. Mertz fin­ished with 30 assists.

Head coach Chris Gravel com­mented on this weekend’s competition. 

“They just didn’t have the depth that we did, the talent on the bench.” Gravel said. “So, they had just a couple of options where we have many options.”

The Pan­thers took the Chargers to five sets on Tuesday. After losing the first set, the Chargers came back and won the next two. The Chargers lost the fourth set and won the match with the fifth. Key offensive players included outside hitters Van Wienen and Buffini, as well as middles Maizie Brown and Megan Kolp. 

“I think the thing that gave us an edge over them was our con­di­tioning.” Van Wienen said. “Over the course of five sets, and espe­cially in that fifth set, we were able to outwork them and outlast them.”

The Chargers come home this Friday and will play two matches for Parent’s Weekend against the Cedarville Uni­versity Yellow Jackets and the Ohio Dominican Panthers. 

“We have one job to do: rep­resent the college and our­selves in a certain way. They went ahead and got that job done.” Gravel said.