The Hillsdale women’s tennis team only have one weekend left in the fall season
Courtesy | Hillsdale College Ath­letic Department

Every member of the Hillsdale Chargers women’s tennis team won at least one match during their annual invi­ta­tional on Sunday, Oct. 10.

Attending were Wayne State Uni­versity War­riors, the Tiffin Uni­versity Dragons and St. Mary’s of Indiana. 

It was a jam-packed day of matches,” Head Coach Nicole Wal­bright said. “We had some really good com­pe­tition and I was really happy everyone got to play.”

Sophomore Helana For­mentin went unde­feated topping all her oppo­nents in both doubles and singles matches. 

“I know for me per­sonally, it is def­i­nitely a con­fi­dence booster,” For­mentin said. “Our last couple weekends we played some really tough teams and I was happy to get some wins under my belt.”

She said that team energy has con­tinued to improve moving towards the end of the fall season. 

“I think that our energy and will­ingness to stay out on the court as long as pos­sible really got us through some tough matches,” For­mentin said. 

All five of the Charger’s doubles pairs won at least one match as well.

“Overall, we had a really strong day with some good results,” Wal­bright said. “Even our losses were really hard fought and I hope it builds some momentum for us going into our last match this coming weekend.”

Junior Canela Luna also won both of her singles matches and, paired with Sophomore Julia Wagner, one of her doubles matches.

“Everyone was just playing just overall good tennis,” Luna said. “Our game was on and everyone was focused and ready to be out there and play and I feel like that was the theme for the weekend.”

Wal­bright said she was happy to have to have the tour­nament play noting that it removes some of the stress that can be present at other matches. 

“It was more relaxed, being a tour­nament, versus a high pressure dual match so the girls were able to work on a bit more than usual,” Wal­bright said. 

The Chargers now look forward to their last weekend of matches before the end of the fall season. They will play at Dav­enport Sat­urday, Oct. 16 hoping to finish strong heading into the break.

“I think we are excited to play and get out there for some matches,” For­mentin said. “But I’m also looking forward to the off­season to develop myself per­sonally as a better tennis player and just keep working towards that G‑MAC cham­pi­onship in the spring.”