What was once the Quad tem­porarily became a market square full of booths, treats, and crafts for all to pur­chase last weekend.

On Sat­urday, Oct. 2 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Student Activ­ities Board hosted their third annual craft and goods fair, Maker’s Market. 

Nineteen vendors set up their stands on the Quad in prepa­ration for a busy morning. The market fea­tured hun­dreds of pieces of jewelry, dozens of greeting cards, jugs of homemade kom­bucha, baked goods, and even plants.

“Maker’s Market is such a great way to see your friends and learn about everyone else,” said senior Carmelina Pestritto, a returning vendor who spe­cializes in photography.

Although there were many returning vendors at Maker’s Market several freshmen set up booths as well, including Rachel Schroder, Lauren Smith, Katrin Surkan, Emma Turner, and Katherine Vanderwall.

For Smith, amateur jeweler and nov­elist, the Maker’s Market was not only a way to share her pas­sions, but also to put her hobbies to good use.

“I started making my own jewelry, and then I got way too many sup­plies, and thought I should just make a business out of it,” Smith said. 

Her earring designs include various color com­bi­na­tions of boba tea, fried eggs, and mush­rooms. Smith also sells her own Christian fiction and fantasy novels, entitled “Stories of the Night” and “Made of Mercy,” and is one of two stu­dents to sell pub­lished works at the Maker’s Market, along with Turner.

Turner also made custom jewelry alongside her children’s book. The book, entitled “My Living Con­sti­tution,” is a picture book guide to the U.S. Con­sti­tution and its amend­ments. Turner, like several other vendors, sells her products online at www.stargirljewelryco.com.

While the majority of vendors at Maker’s Market sell crafts made in their free time, Ashlyn Neveau, director of student pro­grams, ran a booth to promote her small business, Hills­dalian Goods, which sells Hillsdale themed mer­chandise. At the same booth, assistant swim coach Zoe Tracey also set up her extensive col­lection of homemade ear­rings. 

In addition to crafts, the cus­tomers were also able to buy various edible treats, and even brush up on their science classes in the process. 

Senior Rachel Ganss sold but­terfly pea flower lemonade. The lemonade starts blue, but turns green when a base is added and pink when an acid is added. Ganss said her interest in food science first intro­duced her to the chemical reaction. She also enjoys making gluten free desserts that she would not oth­erwise be able to find on campus.

As a more long term hobby, junior Lucy Cuneo has been fer­menting kom­bucha, which she brought in jugs to Maker’s Market. She included her “con­verted chai” flavor, which is a mild kom­bucha intended for first intro­ducing people to the fer­mented drink.

While some vendors have been at their crafts for years, they all con­tinue to exper­iment with new styles and tech­niques. Freshman Kat Surkin mod­ified a chocolate chip cookie recipe to become gluten free. 

Those with tighter budgets were also able to enjoy Maker’s Market, between free samples, the general atmos­phere, and a plethora of free suc­cu­lents from SAB. 

SAB Director Zane Mabry has found that Maker’s Market is a popular event on campus.

“It’s a great oppor­tunity for stu­dents that are reg­u­larly trying to sell crafts, and to get their business out there a bit more to campus,” Mabry said.