Great Books col­lection sits on shelf | Hillsdale book­store website

A col­lection of 30 great books based on Hillsdale’s core lit­er­ature classes is now for sale at the college’s online store.

“All Great Books Col­lection titles were selected in part­nership with the college’s English department,” the college said in a Sept. 13 press release. “The edi­tions offered include best-in-class com­mentary and trans­lation as well as timeless lessons con­cerning human nature, virtue, self-gov­ernment, and liberty.” 

The col­lection includes works from authors such as Homer, Dante, Shake­speare, and Milton. They are available for pur­chase at shop.hillsdale.edu.

Director of E‑commerce John Quint ’09 said the shop was mainly intended for stu­dents enrolled in free online courses.

“The new online store is largely in service to the online learning par­tic­i­pants,” Quint said. “We’re actually selling books related to the courses that they’re taking.”

Doug Banbury, vice pres­ident for admis­sions and business devel­opment, said the e‑commerce team has worked hard to make the site accessible.

“A lot of our online stu­dents don’t want to order any­thing on Amazon or aren’t as familiar with the internet,” Banbury said. “So we’re designing the site in a way that is very-user friendly to people of all tech­nology capabilities.”

The online shop launched in April 2021. Since the addition of the Great Books Col­lection, more than 100 products are for sale, including “The Churchill Project” books, Victor Davis Hanson’s “The Second World Wars,” and other texts that accompany the online courses.

“My goal as the director of e‑commerce is just to figure out how we can dis­tribute and make a wide acces­sible sales channel available to the general public,” Quint said.

Pro­fessor of English Justin Jackson said he hopes the acces­si­bility of the col­lection will have the ability to touch many people’s lives.

“We wanted friends of the college to be able to see what our stu­dents read in their great books classes,” Jackson said. “I hope they encounter the same joy that we and our stu­dents do when grap­pling with life’s big questions. 

After entering into these works, even for the first time, one is never really the same.”

The 30 titles in the col­lection include “The Divine Comedy” by Dante Alighieri, “Con­fes­sions” by Saint Augustine, “Pride & Prej­udice” by Jane Austen, the book of “Genesis,” “The Fall” by Albert Camus, “Don Quixote” by Miguel de Cer­vantes Saavedra, “The Can­terbury Tales” by Geoffrey Chaucer, “The Poetry of Emily Dick­inson,” “Notes from Under­ground” by Fyodor Dos­to­evsky, “The Col­lected Poems of T.S. Eliot,” “Invisible Man” by Ralph Ellison, “Faust” by Goethe, “Young Goodman Brown & Other Short Stories” by Nathaniel Hawthorne, “The Iliad” and “The Odyssey” by Homer, “The Meta­mor­phosis” by Franz Kafka, “Moby Dick” by Herman Melville, “Death of a Salesman” by Arthur Miller, “Par­adise Lost” by John Milton, “Meta­mor­phoses” by Ovid, “Selec­tions from The Can­zoniere” by Petrarch, “Iphi­genia, Phaedra and Athaliah” by Jean Racine, “The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, “Hamlet” and “The Tempest” by William Shake­speare, “The Death of Ivan Ilyich” by Leo Tolstoy, “Candide” by Voltaire, and “Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.”