Dylan Lee Jones. Courtesy | Facebook
Dylan Lee Jones. Courtesy | Facebook

The suspect in a fatal hit-and-run is set to face pre­trial in the 1st Judicial Circuit Court on Oct. 18.

Dylan Lee Jones, 21, faces a potential life sen­tence due to four felony cases stemming from the hit-and-run, according to his attorney, Kimm Burger. 

One case con­sists of reckless driving causing death and failure to stop at the scene of an accident resulting in death. Another case con­sists of third-degree fleeing and eluding a police officer, along with receiving or con­cealing a stolen motor vehicle. Two more cases bring charges of pos­session of metham­phet­amine, according to Burger. In one instance, pros­e­cutors allege that police found meth in the vehicle Jones was driving. In the other instance, Jones allegedly pos­sessed meth while at the jail.

Since the pros­e­cution defines Jones as a habitual offender, Burger said, these charges carry the potential penalty of life imprisonment. 

“He denies the charges and wants a trial to require the pros­e­cution to prove their cases beyond a rea­sonable doubt,” Burger said.

According to police, Jones was driving a white Chevy Malibu when he allegedly struck Kevin Brewer around 8:30 a.m on Aug. 21. After hitting Brewer, Jones got out of the vehicle, but then got back in, drove away, and later aban­doned the vehicle, according to reports.

The 56-year-old Brewer was pro­nounced dead at the scene.

The pre­lim­inary hearing was ini­tially adjourned, according to Burger. After pre­lim­inary exam­i­na­tions last week, however, Judge Megan Stiverson of the 2B Dis­trict Court decided that there was probable cause to advance the case to circuit court for a pretrial.

According to Burger, the pre­trial “nor­mally is the time that trial dates will be deter­mined. However, since we are not sched­uling trials at this time, it is more of a ‘fic­ti­tious’ hearing in the fact that nothing will be accom­plished,” she said. “Not much can really be set until such time as a trial date is secured.”

Circuit Court Admin­is­trator Cindy Webb con­firmed that the court is not sched­uling trials due to COVID-19. After con­sulting with the health department, she said, the court made this decision for “safety reasons.”