Helping Hands Preg­nancy Resource Center will cel­e­brate its new 3D ultra­sound machine at a ribbon cutting cer­emony on Oct. 16 at 10:30 a.m.

“People who come to the ribbon cutting cer­emony can expect a joyful time as we cel­e­brate God’s pro­vision and the people that sac­ri­fi­cially gave to allow for the pur­chasing of our ultra­sound machine,” Helping Hands Director Bryce Asberg ’20 said. 

Helping Hands requested that attendees RSVP by Oct. 8 to [email protected] The center is located on 46 S. Howell St., past Checker Records coffee shop. 

“We are so incredibly thankful for God’s mirac­ulous pro­vision,” an email from Helping Hands said. “Soon we will be oper­a­tional and able to offer this service to the com­munity at no charge.” 

Asberg said the orga­ni­zation was able to pur­chase the ultra­sound machine through the gen­erous dona­tions of the local Knights of Columbus, the national Knights of Columbus, and the Hillsdale County Com­munity Foun­dation, which joined with local churches and many indi­viduals and fam­ilies from across the county to fund the machine.

He said the 3D tech­nology will give mothers and fathers the gift of seeing their unborn children. 

“These images are pow­erful and serve as a pro­found encour­agement for women and men to make a life-affirming choice for both them and their child,” Asberg said. 

Sophomore Joey Spoelstra said he is proud that his fra­ternity, Delta Tau Delta, raises money for the center. 

“I think what impacted me the most and made me really want to help even more was after we gave them the donation check,” Spoelstra said. “The facility is small and it is right smack dab in the middle of town. When we went there to give them the check, there was a lady at reception and she was over­joyed that we had come to per­sonally give them the donation.”

Spoelstra said seeing the results of his fraternity’s efforts made him smile. 

“Many of the workers at Helping Hands expressed their grat­itude at our aid and it meant the world to us all,” Spoelstra said. “I know it did to me.”

With the new tech­nology, the mission of Helping Hands will expand, Asberg said.

“Helping Hands has the same mission – to equip women and men to make life-affirming deci­sions about preg­nancy, par­enting, and sex­u­ality through the gospel of Jesus Christ,” he said. “But with this machine we will be able to provide a cutting-edge service, unmatched in the county, that allows us to much more pow­er­fully com­mu­nicate the truth about life in the womb.”

Asberg said he wants women in unplanned preg­nancies to know they are not alone. 

“Helping Hands has the con­fi­dential ser­vices and support you need and trained client advo­cates eager to meet with you and walk alongside you,” he said. “Every­thing we offer is free and we are ready to serve you however we can.”

According to a press release, Helping Hands was founded in 1986 and pre­vi­ously operated under the name Alpha Omega Care Center. 

In the statement, Asberg said having the machine will be a “game-changer” for women in the community. 

“Too often, when a woman faces an unplanned preg­nancy, she feels alone. We have always walked alongside women in love, but now we can show a new mother a picture of the life God has given her. That is nothing short of miraculous.”