Members of the Hillsdale golf team from left to right: Luke Girodat, Ryan Zetwick, Josh Dav­enport, George Roberts, Logan Anuszkiewics, and newly hired coach, Matt Thompson (Courtesy | Ryan Zetwick)

The Hillsdale College Men’s Golf Team was the runner-up at their third tour­nament of the year with their best score since the program restarted in 2013. 

Five players from the team, freshmen Oscar Dar­lington and Filippo Reale, junior Gerry Jones Jr., and seniors Josh Dav­enport and Drew Gandy, com­peted in the Kyle Ryman Memorial Invite at Tiffin Uni­versity on Oct. 4 – 5, scoring 285 – 288-285 – 858 overall. 

“I believe we were all highly moti­vated coming into this event given our slow start to the season,” Gandy said. “We were ready to make a statement,and a lot of the guys had seen the course before so we were com­fortable out there.”

Reale noted that Darlington’s per­for­mance was par­tic­u­larly impressive. 

“Shooting seven under over three rounds is very solid,” he said, “espe­cially that last round of 67 really gave the team a boost.”

Darlington’s seven-under 209 was the second-best 54-hole round by any Charger golfer since the program restart.

Nonetheless, the team said the course had its challenges. 

“Probably one of the chal­lenges was you had to be patient,” Reale said,“because the way the course was set up it was easy to get too aggressive on certain holes and hurt your score.” 

Though they played well, Reale said that they were very close to winning the entire tournament.

“With some small things here and there,” Reale said. “We could have won this tournament.”

“I believe we had a good week of practice, but the biggest dif­ference I believe was their con­fi­dence level,” Head Coach Matt Thompson said. “These guys can compete with anyone at any tour­nament, they just need to trust them­selves and their ability.” 

The team will compete in the Midwest Regional Invite at Fox Run Golf Club in St. Louis, Mis­souri Oct. 11 – 12.

“This event proved that we can play with anyone in the country,” Gandy said. “We just need to keep that con­fi­dence moving forward.”